Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yellow weber questions 1969-72  (Read 2969 times)

Emily36

• Happy Cooker
Yellow weber questions 1969-72
« on: May 11, 2016, 06:50:32 AM »
Hi there, I'm new to the group.  I have a yellow weber that I've been told is around a 69-72. It was my late fathers and my family is thinking of selling.  I'm torn because I have good memories with this but at the same time I don't know if it's necessary to keep.  (My husband also has a weber that was his parents wedding gift and his father is also gone so he wants to keep that one).  If I decide to keep it restore does anyone know where to start and any type of price range for the actual bowl itself?  I'm in Michigan if that helps.  The top has some chips that are pretty big but it's still a beautiful grill.   I read so much about keeping these and just enjoying them.  I know they are a rarity!!  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

*I'd like to add photos but I'm unsure how to do so.  I hit the button and img/img is the only thing that comes up.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Yellow weber questions 1969-72
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 06:58:39 AM »
Welcome to the site Emily. Here is a link on how to post pictures.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/kettle-club-discussions/how-to-post-pictures-here-at-the-wkc/

On that yellow, as for age if it has the PAT PENDING on that lid vent, it is high probability that it is a 1972 yellow kettle. Yellow was introduced for the 1973 model year in the fall of '72. Now, on another, more important note. does the kettle hold any sentimental value? If it reminds you of the happy memories that you have of your father, then consider holding on to it. I have my Grandfather's 1960's red 18.5 kettle and I think of my memories of him when I was growing up every time I use it. Maybe this is the beginning of a fun hobby.<< Not so much in number of grills, but creating new memories while cherishing past ones. :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:00:37 AM by Craig »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 07:22:26 AM »
If I decide to keep it restore does anyone know where to start and any type of price range for the actual bowl itself?

That sentence kinda goes in two directions at once. Don't try to sell just the bowl, sell the whole thing.

Restoration is mostly about cleaning/polishing, although new grill grates and charcoal grates are still available.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:31:03 AM »
If you decide to sell it, you should list it here as it seems to have some history and with someone here getting it, you know it will be taken care of and enjoyed for years to come.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 09:29:41 AM »
@Emily36 where are you located in Michigan?  We have some really good members in the Detroit area who may be interested if you decide to sell or assist you with restoration if you decide to go that route.  Best of luck!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Emily36

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 09:51:32 AM »
Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on the whole "bowl" thing.  I was thinking that was the main part that would have to be restored.  I would definitely sell it whole, haha.
I'm in Grand Rapids, just a couple hours from Detroit so the above info is very helpful to me.  Thank you.  I'm having a hard time parting with it and have had a couple pretty good offers.  I think deep down I'll feel regret if I let it go. Not to mention I have two small children and it's something that could potentially be passed down to them.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:00:59 AM »
My 3 year old gets all kinds of excited when she sees I'm pulling the yellow kettle out for a cook.  To the point that she has decided that the food tastes better.  My daily use kettles get a lot more action, but there is something about that yellow that just makes it special.  I'm looking forward to decades of memories to come.

If it was me, I'd keep it and break it out for special occasions
-Keith

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 10:05:02 AM »
Well, you've answered your own question.  Keep it, restore it,  use it, take care of it. Best of all, make even more memories to go with it. Imagine in 40 yrs or so, your grandchildren cooking on it.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »
I'm also in grand rapids. If you need any help looking it over I'm willing to help. Yellows are one of my favorites for cooking. When the sunset orange starts as it heats up, its gorgeous. No other color shows such a drastic change. You don't happen to own a clothing store on division, do you?  There was one in the window there for a while.

Emily36

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 04:38:14 PM »
Ted, nope, not me! I will keep your offer of help in mind, thank you so much! Everyone has been very helpful here!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 04:43:54 PM »
Keep it, cook on it, and cherish the memories.

And post up some pics! We love pictures!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 05:42:51 PM »
Yeah, I would keep it too. I actually bought my dad the only grill I remember him having, and I had to cook on too! Man, that guy did not like to cook, but I still have it and won't give it up just for that reason. Before I forget, Hello Emily. I'm Travis from Illinois.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 03:34:48 AM »
If your having trouble deciding to let that yellow go, that is your gut telling you to keep it. Something that old that has been in the family that long I would definitely keep. If you sell it, the money will be spent in no time and then you won't have the money or the kettle. My advice is to keep it. Good luck to you.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 04:38:37 AM »
Keep it. It's an heirloom....and boy I want a yellow badly!

Please post pics.  :D
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Cellar2ful

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 06:49:48 AM »
Deciding whether to sell or keep your fathers Weber will not be an easy decision. 

A couple of questions you may wish to ask yourself are :

- Do you have other items of your fathers that you are keeping or receiving from his estate?

- What other items did he treasure or use that you have fond memories of and will be keeping?

- Is this an item you hold the fondest memories of your father?

- If sold, will you regret not keeping it?

My father had many interests, talents and hobbies. When he passed, our family was also faced with dividing all of his possessions and treasures.  Some items were kept, others were given to relatives, friends (both his and mine) and some items were sold.  Keep in mind that you can always sell the kettle sometime in the future if storage becomes an issue but this will be your only opportunity to keep it.

Wishing you find peace in your decision.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:50:11 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"