Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grate replacement  (Read 3707 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Grate replacement
« on: May 08, 2016, 06:00:52 PM »
Grabbed my BIL a Genesis silver C off craigslist. Overall decent shape but the flavorizer bars and grates are shot.

I plan on replacing both with new. I don't think I can swing the SS webers.

Should I stick with OEM porcelain on both or should I go with some non OEM stainless rod grates that Amazon has for roughly the same price? I've seen non eom
Flavorizer bars on Amazon and eBay, anyone have any experience with either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grate replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »
Get the SS flavor bars from RCPlanebuyer on Ebay.  If you want, I can give you his direct contact info.   His bars are ss, thicker gauge than Weber OEM and cost less.

For grates, it comes down to cash flow versus value.   Teh absolute best value long term is to invest the money up front for stainless rod grates.  You will never have to replace them again.  RC makes a set of them for much less than they would cost from Weber.

As for other non oem rod grates, can you post a link to which ones you are looking at ?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 08:34:53 PM »
What grates does your Silver C have? I have flipped a few of these grills and they usually came with heavy duty enamel  coated cast iron grates. The enamel chips and peels, allowing the iron to rust.
I use a vinegar soak and a wire wheel to remove the rust and remaining enamel coating, then oil the grate well and season it like an iron skillet. I think that they work particularly well if you install them upside-down,  so that the flat surface faces up.

Here is a set getting ready for final cleaning and oiling. Along with some rcplanebuyer flavorizors!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:44:13 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Grate replacement
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 03:31:26 AM »
What grates does your Silver C have? I have flipped a few of these grills and they usually came with heavy duty enamel  coated cast iron grates. The enamel chips and peels, allowing the iron to rust.
I use a vinegar soak and a wire wheel to remove the rust and remaining enamel coating, then oil the grate well and season it like an iron skillet. I think that they work particularly well if you install them upside-down,  so that the flat surface faces up.

Here is a set getting ready for final cleaning and oiling. Along with some rcplanebuyer flavorizors!

That's what my newer Genesis has and I do the same as you. I actually found out from weber that they go flat side up, I had them wrong for 5 years.

The grill I'm rehabbing had the porcelain enameled stamped steel not CI
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:35:14 AM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 03:35:53 AM »
Get the SS flavor bars from RCPlanebuyer on Ebay.  If you want, I can give you his direct contact info.   His bars are ss, thicker gauge than Weber OEM and cost less.

For grates, it comes down to cash flow versus value.   Teh absolute best value long term is to invest the money up front for stainless rod grates.  You will never have to replace them again.  RC makes a set of them for much less than they would cost from Weber.

As for other non oem rod grates, can you post a link to which ones you are looking at ?

If his stuff is good send me the details

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 03:50:14 AM »
I remember the discussion about that but had forgotten which side officially goes up. Flat side? OK. But it just seems like pointed side makes more sense to me, I don't know. Every used one I come across is like that as well. What the heck is the difference either way?

I imagine it's easier to keep them oiled when used "upside down" (right side up?) -- FLAT side up.

rcplanebuyer, http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=rcplanebuyer&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=weber&_sacat=0
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 05:07:17 PM »

I reached out to rcplanebuyer, not sure if he has grates, but in case he doesn't, here is the other set I was looking at

bbq-parts 9930 BBQ Stainless Steel ROD Replacement Cooking Grill Grid Grate for Weber 9930 Ducane Lowes Model Grills, Sold As A Set of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N5GSOU4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YntmxbCP4CHRW

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 09:08:02 PM »
Those look kind of ok.   They claim to be SS and I have no reason to doubt that.  The rods are only 7mm though.   

The OEM ones Weber and those that RCPlanebuyer makes are thicker 9.5mm rod (3/8th's).   But, Weber OEM's are $200+ for two and RC's are $120 + $18.75 on Ebay.   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Cooking-Grate-9930-for-Summit-400-600-S-S-/140547351845?hash=item20b9466525:m:mI9wAfBY2I8tvNp_BT67Zog

Talk to him and see if he can give you a better price outside of Ebay, especially if you are buying flavorizer bars as well.   One thing not in your favor is that the Grates and flavorizers ship in different sized Priority mail boxes, so he might not be able to combine shipping  :(

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 09:23:38 AM »
I have new Weber grates and flavorizor bars for sale in classifieds. Shipping should be fairly cheap from MD.