Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wow, Weber suing Char Broil  (Read 8188 times)

Troy

• Statesman

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Wow, Weber suing Char Broil
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:21:02 AM »
The public has been confused for years!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 06:35:27 AM »
Weber just got done with a lawsuit against  Sears , they live in litigation !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 07:03:37 AM »
Looked at the "kettleman" in a lowes couple months back...

Super sized lid damper, otherwise Unimpressed
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 09:31:51 AM »
As i recall, Weber successfully trademarked the actual silhouette of the kettle.
I'm not sure if that only applies to logos and images... or if it applies to grills too.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »
Well, whatever. Two total different qualities, but I can see there side. Walmart carries a kettle style as well. Similar, but not built to last imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 09:55:58 AM »
As i recall, Weber successfully trademarked the actual silhouette of the kettle.
I'm not sure if that only applies to logos and images... or if it applies to grills too.

In the late 80s Weber went after several charcoal grill manufactures , claiming the shape of their kettle grill was an integral part of function . They claimed the ability to control flame ups and snuff the coals as some of the reasons . The other manufactures lined up and opposed Weber stating that the shape mattered little and any grill with a lid be it round , square or any shape would perform the same functions as a Weber and so Webers claim on the shape was lost, leaving companies the ability to recreate a kettle style grill but not to copy the Weber itself or its logo

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 10:14:43 AM »

In the late 80s Weber went after several charcoal grill manufactures , claiming the shape of their kettle grill was an integral part of function . They claimed the ability to control flame ups and snuff the coals as some of the reasons . The other manufactures lined up and opposed Weber stating that the shape mattered little and any grill with a lid be it round , square or any shape would perform the same functions as a Weber and so Webers claim on the shape was lost, leaving companies the ability to recreate a kettle style grill but not to copy the Weber itself or its logo
Very interesting!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 11:40:45 AM »
They don't look the same to me. Is BGE going to sue Weber because the Summit grill looks egg shaped?

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 06:32:08 PM »
I saw a Kettleman in BJs the other day. A ridiculously large, centered lid vent. It looked silly, imo.

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 06:40:25 PM »

I wonder if Weber would be suing if they were still family-owned?   I'll just let that sink in for a bit...
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 05:49:55 AM »
I understand there are important functional and asthetic differences with Kettleman, but a company is going to protect their idea if it gets within sniffing difference. Char-Broil is no Happy Cooker; they have deep pockets.

I'd like to see Weber-Stephen educate the public better about what they sell, and what makes them different. Hardware stores don't give a crap about anything they do, or why.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 05:25:22 PM »
This is a copy cat of a WSM! Has any seen or used one of these?
http://muskegon.craigslist.org/for/5519065576.html

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 05:28:13 PM »

I wonder if Weber would be suing if they were still family-owned?   I'll just let that sink in for a bit...
Yes they would, and they have.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Wow, Weber suing Char Broil
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 08:01:48 PM »
This is a copy cat of a WSM! Has any seen or used one of these?
http://muskegon.craigslist.org/for/5519065576.html

It's a Napoleon Apollo smoker , made in Canada and not bad units at all !