Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Summit Charcoal Grill Center - unboxing/assembly pics  (Read 5413 times)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Summit Charcoal Grill Center - unboxing/assembly pics
« on: May 01, 2016, 02:26:17 PM »
Took some pics during the unboxing/assembly. My wife had actually given the OK to get a bge a few years ago. I came close to buying one but at the last minute decided against it. I couldn't resist when I saw it in person - the store where I bought it used a fork lift to put it in the bed of my truck.

Nice packing job

It actually sits on a small wooden pallet. Going to use that for charcoal storage in the garage.

The paperwork

Flip it on the end to attach the wheels, deflector plate bracket, and bowl ring.

Wheels on - these are heavy duty

Deflector plate bracket

Bowl ring

Large wheel installation

Ready for the bowl ring support arm

This was familiar

Detail of the bowl plug for an automatic temp controller

Inside pic

Bracket assembly - this thing is heavy duty.

Cooking and charcoal grates. They are heavy duty and seem made of larger diameter material

Putting on the starter knob. I really like the lighting system on this. Had some help here.

Time to rip the plastic off - had some more help here.

I really like the design - very reminiscent of the ss performers.
The place I bought it gave me a charcoal rake and cover for free for being the first one to buy it.

The build quality seems very good. The bowl and lid fit nicely, and the spring assisted hinge makes raising and lowering a breeze. 
I don't have a ton of cooks on it yet, but some key points this far:

- efficient on fuel
- temp rebounds quickly after opening the lid
- really like the lid/bowl gasket. Temp probes are no problem here. We will see how it holds up. Should be good though - appears to be metal based.
- the top damper (rapid fire) is really nice. No need for a chimney starter. Let's you quickly heat up the cooker.
- the ss deflector plate is real heavy. I really like it and it seems to do the trick nicely. Adding more fuel/wood chips during smoking isn't difficult - just need some long tongs.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 02:35:21 PM by Bbqmiller »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Summit Charcoal Grill Center - unboxing/assembly pics
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 02:57:39 PM »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 03:06:52 PM »
very nice! congrats on a sweet grill!!

THAT FONT THO!?!?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 04:33:51 PM »
I think someone at Weber found Comic Sans on their Mac.

Weber, I want that grate!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 04:56:02 PM »
I think someone at Weber found Comic Sans on their Mac.

Weber, I want that grate!

embarrassing :(
:P

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 05:51:54 PM »
Very Nice.  I got to see one in person today.  It looks like it's very well made but I don't think I could ever spend $2,000 for one.

Wayne

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 03:51:50 AM »
Great pictures thanks.  Crazy good packaging too. 

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 04:52:23 AM »

I've noticed this rack on several pics of the Summit, but haven't heard anyone mention it yet.  It looks like the steps in the wire are sized for the cooking system grate/accessories, maybe the heat deflector?  Do they call out a purpose for it, or just let you figure it out on your own?

Kinda like the day I figured out there was a slot on the rear of my performer that perfectly supports the handle of a cooking grate for hanging it.  I've never seen it mentioned in Weber paperwork, but its obvious thats what its for......once you know its there.
-Keith

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 05:00:40 AM »
Saw from a fan video that the wire rack underneath is to store the deflector.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 06:01:52 AM »
Man, I bet you were super stoked when they were loading that up! How the hell did you get that out of the truck?

Looks great man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 07:39:19 AM »

Saw from a fan video that the wire rack underneath is to store the deflector.

Correct - that is for storing the SS deflector

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 07:41:29 AM »

Man, I bet you were super stoked when they were loading that up! How the hell did you get that out of the truck?

Looks great man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckily I have a ramp for my truck. My wife helped me to slide it down. It was pretty easy to slide it on our driveway/sidewalk. It is very heavy by the way.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 08:14:19 AM »
Great Post.  Congratulations, you are going to have some fun cooks on that for sure!

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 03:46:01 PM »

I've noticed this rack on several pics of the Summit, but haven't heard anyone mention it yet.  It looks like the steps in the wire are sized for the cooking system grate/accessories, maybe the heat deflector?  Do they call out a purpose for it, or just let you figure it out on your own?

Kinda like the day I figured out there was a slot on the rear of my performer that perfectly supports the handle of a cooking grate for hanging it.  I've never seen it mentioned in Weber paperwork, but its obvious thats what its for......once you know its there.

Here is a pic - sorry it is crooked. Hard to take a good pic so close to the ground.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 05:58:28 PM »
Congrats!  She's a beauty!
One of the charcoal people.