Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY kettle work tops  (Read 2700 times)

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
DIY kettle work tops
« on: April 30, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »
I have been looking for a better work top solution than dragging my patio table over to the kettles when I cook.  I had an old IKEA butcher-block top that was collecting dust so I decided to repurpose it.  A little routing, sanding and some butcher-block conditioner is all it took.  I think they turned out really well!

CNC cutting out the parts:

Parts are cut (the two small parts are for a tortilla press):

Rounding over the edges and some sanding:

Bottom side detail showing the dado that keeps the top registered on the kettle bowl:

Complete:

Perfect fit on the bowl:

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: DIY kettle work tops
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »
Excellent idea!

What do you do with the lids when they're not on the kettle?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 11:22:06 AM »
Another great idea for wood … Put to good use.  Outstanding !!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 11:46:06 AM »
stunning! 
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 12:16:52 PM »
holy crap that is a great idea. Is that your personal shopbot?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 12:26:12 PM »
Wow those are awesome! And the craftsmanship looks incredible! That would be so cool to have out on a cookout and impress your friends.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 12:57:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words!  ;D  This came together really quick.  I got the idea for this project last weekend.  I found the top material Wednesday, programed and cut on Thursday and put on the finish/took pictures today.

Excellent idea!

What do you do with the lids when they're not on the kettle?

Right now the lids are in the kettle's parking spaces on the porch.  I might could build a lid easel/stand.  Any ideas?

holy crap that is a great idea. Is that your personal shopbot?

Great eye to spy the ShopBot!  It is not my personal machine but I have full access to it.  I have been programming and cutting on it for 9 years now.  It is really an awesome machine!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
Im sure with your tools and skills you could make something less red neck than mine, but it works. I can practically drop my lid into it without damaging the lid in any way. The holes for the dowels were drilled at about 45*.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 03:35:24 PM »
Amazing. All this time, I've never seen anyone turn a kettle into a real tabletop. Makes perfect sense though.

Next party's is at Uncle Al's. He got the kettles and by the looks of that outdoor shower, a pool somewhere.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch