Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone else hate the office chair casters?  (Read 3246 times)

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
Anyone else hate the office chair casters?
« on: April 27, 2016, 11:58:28 PM »
I am in the middle of doing a restoration of a Genesis 2000.
I am upgrading to stainless everywhere I can.

As an Industrial Designer, I can not fathom how the design team at Weber ever got those plastic office chair casters though the approval stage.

Yes, I know they are on all the Weber models...... but they are not going on my resto.
I just think they look so bizarre.

I am looking at both painted and all stainless casters.

bear

• WKC Ranger
Re: Anyone else hate the office chair casters?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 04:58:30 AM »
Yes, I hate them with a passion. I don't know why you would want to use them. I also hate the legs with no wheels such as the Platinum Kettle Weber, put some decent wheels on your carts!

Rant over

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 05:04:00 AM »
There are many 2" casters with expansion plugs that would work on the cart (round tubing). All you would have to do is cut the legs, about 2.5" shorter.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 05:39:59 AM »
I don't know that I have anything that will cut these frame tubes, at least not perpendicularly. So on 4 grills now I've used these: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/performer-2'-non-locking-replacement-wheels-with-ball-bearings/msg155753/#msg155753

You do lose the ability to lock however.

If you modify yours please share what you did.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 05:42:09 AM »
Ya, those will pop right in. They probably sit about 1/4" higher than the office chair ones.

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 05:43:55 AM »
I am going to give these a try.
Just have to tap some threads into the existing plastic plug in the frame.
http://www.amazon.com/a14071600ux0660-Shopping-Trolley-1-5-Inch-4-Piece/dp/B00PZX2AC8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 05:52:25 AM »
Ya, those will pop right in. They probably sit about 1/4" higher than the office chair ones.

Nope, same height. You get two for less than $10 at any Lowe's. You'd have enough money left over to mask and paint the metal for a custom look.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 01:15:32 PM »
Give Harbor Freight a look as well. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 09:13:05 PM »
I used 5" urethane casters on my performer. They roll really well and look cool but imo it wasn't worth time and effort.

If you are id ID I would recommend looking at Choi Design's website.  They designed a lot of Weber stuff like the Q, Spirit, 2010 performer, and Weber style accessories.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791