Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Any E-310 owners? Do you miss the side burner?  (Read 3199 times)

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
Any E-310 owners? Do you miss the side burner?
« on: April 27, 2016, 02:05:21 PM »
I'm trying to decide on a new Genesis and can't figure whether the extra $100 for a side burner is justified. I can't remember the last time I used a side burner on a grill (although I cook on charcoal 95% of the time). On the one hand it would be nice to use it to start chimneys, on the other hand I have a performer that can do that.

I have a feeling the lid would be permanently down and it'd be used as a side table.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Any E-310 owners? Do you miss the side burner?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 03:18:13 PM »
I have a 310, I know I would never use the side burner. Definitely not worth the extra money to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 03:55:37 PM »
Thanks for the input. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a waste to me. I think I'll go with the 310.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 04:54:25 PM »
I have an older Genesis gold with the side burner. I have used it numerous times. Blackened fish in a CI skillet, seafood boil, cook bacon for breakfast - I don't think I could ever have a gas grill now that didn't have a side burner.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 09:13:25 PM »
I don't have one but wish I did. For CI pans, for chimneys. And if it "doubles" as a small side table when not in use, it's all to the good.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:03:30 PM »
Good to deep fry fish and chicken, smell and mess is outside, fire too.
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 06:19:36 AM »
The 300 series side burner is a decent one, not like the older models.  It would depend on your needs but it puts out some BTU's
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 01:42:49 PM »
I'm so used to cooking on kettles and putting CI pans right over the coals, plus I have a deep fryer outside, so I'm not worried about smells in the kitchen.

As far as the BTUs go, does anyone have any thoughts on the grill's overall performance. I've heard older ones tended to not get very hot. I wonder if that's still a problem (or if it was really one to begin with).

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 01:51:28 PM »
The firebox is larger than the previous genesis models so some say they do not get as hot but from what I have seen and heard it is not an issue.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 05:33:23 PM »
It gets hot in there. I can get mine up to 600 no problem. I actually find it hard to cook at low temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 03:03:15 PM »
thanks for all the input. I almost bought one with a side burner at lowes today. The guy thought the only green one they had in stock was a 330, since I was there and pulling the trigger I figured I might as well. It turns out there was a screw up in the computer and they didn't have any in stock. Still not a 100% on which I'd pick, but the purchase has been put off for a week.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 10:39:47 AM »
I have a S330 and have used it one time but it's nice knowing it's there if I need it.

Big Dave

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 12:35:54 PM »
I have a Green E330, and am glad I have the burner when I need.  Don't use often but do occasionally use to fry, blacken, or sauté.  Its nice on a summer day when were by the pool and I can cook while we are having family time.  Here is one thing using the burner.  Could have done veggies on grill but burner was handy.

Shrooms on the burner

Spinach on the burner

Grill some chicken

Put it all together with some provolone.  Don't mind the Ultra.  Wife thought I should watch my carbs, but I guess fat is OK.

'14 Genesis 330, '09 Performer Deluxe, 22" Kettle, 22" WSM, '97 900, '97 Genesis 3000

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 01:40:29 PM »
Anyone regularly use your side burner to start a chimney, assuming you don't have a Performer or some other way? I realize you'd have to clean out the burner area of ash over time.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »
I often cook bacon for breakfast - doesn't make a mess in the kitchen

Blackened catfish

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:58:51 PM by Bbqmiller »