Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Day Boat Scallops Seared In A @LodgeCastIron Skillet On The @WeberGrills Kettle  (Read 1737 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Step one was to place the scallops on a paper towel to dry them off.
Then season them with a generous coating of Sea Salt.
Put a half a chimney of coals into the Weber Charcoal baskets and then get your Lodge skillet heated up.
Next put a couple of turns of EVOO and a couple of tablespoons of clarified butter in the skillet and place your scallops down flat onto the skillet surface.

The key is to not move the scallops on the skillet to let them develop that golden  browning effect. Resist checking the bottom for at least two minutes.  Once you see good color, flip em over-

Let them develop the same color on the other side.  The smaller ones will cook faster so if you need to, leave the larger scallops on for a minute longer.  (You could also cut them in half)

Buttery goodness!

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Going to the freezer to see if I have any scallops left!  Awesome cook.  Scallops aren't too hard if you can resist the urge to keep checking them....which means it IS hard to cook scallops!  LOL.  I definitely agree with drying them off in between some paper towels.  Damn, I want some scallops now.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
That looks awesome Cap! I love the last pic of the two in the skillet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Drool , drool and more drool , I'm craving some scallop succotash right now !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Looks heavenly. Does drying them off first help prevent sticking to the pan? Or is that just an oil thing?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Looks heavenly. Does drying them off first help prevent sticking to the pan? Or is that just an oil thing?
It let's the scallop develop a nice sear.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Awesome, thanks Joey. I usually hesitate buying these due to price and fear of screwing them up. I've had a few stick on me before. I'll definitely try it again now.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Mmmmmmhmmmmm.
Still need a 22” yellow

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
@captjoe06 , Nice cook! How does someone in MN get Scallops the size of a hockey puck? We enjoy them, but the largest we can find would be the size of a half dollar :( Most the time size of a quarter, at that time not worth the cost.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
@glrasmussen It must be tough to find a high quality seafood dealer in MN that doesn't charge outrageous prices.  It's a luxury we have living in a fishing community that the freshest seafood is at our fingertips every day.  I wish I had a suggestion for you.

@addicted-to-smoke Ya, just remember to dry them off just before you're going to cook them and apply that coarse salt just before they're gonna hit the pan and you'll be good to go. The more butter you use the faster they will get to that golden Carmelites for the flip.  Because you can basically eat scallops raw, as soon as you get that color on both sides, take em off so you don't dry them out.

I made the mistake of salting them a couple hours before I was going to cook them one time and they sweated out a lot of the moisture.

Hope that helps :)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
It does, thanks!