Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wing question  (Read 3568 times)

jrc1

• Smokey Joe
Wing question
« on: April 22, 2016, 05:19:37 AM »
I don't yet have a vortx[emoji53] (on the list) but I am planning on trying the  wing ring on my 22 using  the charcoal baskets in the center. My question is do you typically run with the vents wide open or start closing them to run at 400 to 450? What is the suggested setup.  May be a dumb question but I appreciate in advance the advice. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

green platinum of unknown vintage

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Wing question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:53:32 AM »
I don't yet have a vortx[emoji53] (on the list) but I am planning on trying the  wing ring on my 22 using  the charcoal baskets in the center. My question is do you typically run with the vents wide open or start closing them to run at 400 to 450? What is the suggested setup.  May be a dumb question but I appreciate in advance the advice. 

My results when using baskets instead of my vortex are very close.  With baskets, I fill them with a fully lit chimney of charcoal, then add a little more unlit on top and let those get going.  I always run my top and bottom vents wide open for wings....the hotter the better.  If youare doing it right after 5-10 minutes it will sounds like your wings are frying inside of your grill!  I usually do my wings for 35-40 minutes.  Another tip is to dump your coals in the "wing ring" area of yuor charcoal grate once you are done to burn up the wing drippings...it works great!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 09:54:50 AM »
I don't have charcoal baskets and have always just done a basic indirect cook with pecan wood. All charcoal to one side, vent to the opposite side wings away from the charcoal and she's good. The kettle does a great job of convection cooking it that way and the pecan smoke is beyond compare on chicken.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 10:27:32 AM »
I just use baskets also. Sear the off and place into the ring. Vents open.

I like the idea of dumping the coals after the cook to burn off juices. Might try that next time to see what happens.

This might be a different question, but how do ya'll place yours wings? I put the drum my away from the fire. I've seen other towards the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 10:55:11 AM »
...how do ya'll place yours wings? I put the drum my away from the fire. I've seen other towards the fire.

Not sure I've been able to tell a difference yet. The lid area gets a heat roll up, so even though it's away from the fire it's about as hot as food placed closer.

Somebody needs to do a quad thermo test, say with twin Maverick 733s and place the 4 probes in a line, from grate edge to right at the fire's edge.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »
...how do ya'll place yours wings? I put the drum my away from the fire. I've seen other towards the fire.

Not sure I've been able to tell a difference yet. The lid area gets a heat roll up, so even though it's away from the fire it's about as hot as food placed closer.

Somebody needs to do a quad thermo test, say with twin Maverick 733s and place the 4 probes in a line, from grate edge to right at the fire's edge.

Hmmmmm....I can do this test the next time I do wings.  I'd imagine it's not that mich of a difference.  A wing is only so long, so the difference in temp from one end to the other has to be minimal, especially with the lid on.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 11:30:39 AM »
I just use baskets also. Sear the off and place into the ring. Vents open.

I like the idea of dumping the coals after the cook to burn off juices. Might try that next time to see what happens.

This might be a different question, but how do ya'll place yours wings? I put the drum my away from the fire. I've seen other towards the fire.

I used to place in any random way then rotate twice.  So place on the grill, wait 12 minutes, flip each wing so that I am putting the towards the fire part away from the fire and also flipping them upside down, then repeat 12 minutes later.  More recently I've been flipping once.  I think its so hot it really doesn't matter too much.  My main thought with flipping was to do it so that the juices will drip on all sides of the wing instead of just dripping out from one side the entire time.  I flour my wings, so I've always thought eachs sides needs its fair share of juices and grease to absorb into the flour evenly and get good and crispy.   The more that I'm thinking about it now, I really don't think flipping or rotating makes a noticable difference.  I'll have to try some flipped and some unflipped on my next cook.

jrc1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 04:28:47 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice. Going to try tomorrow and will post the results.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 06:23:20 PM »
Sounds like a cool experiment. See what your getting yourself into jrc1!

jrc1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 10:30:23 AM »
Wings were great. Took a little over an hour.  Didn't get a shot of the wings off the grill.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »
Glad to hear it all worked out for ya @jrc1. What did you do?

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 02:57:57 PM »
I run vents wide open and flip once during a wing cook

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 06:39:25 PM »
I don't know boys, I think the Slow n Sear gives rings and baskets a run for the money.  I get the grill to 350, drop the wings on and leave 'em for about 50 minutes.  No turning, no peeking.  Sauce up and cook  until satisfied:

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 03:41:31 AM »
But ... but ... what about getting the sauce on both sides ...?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 04:56:11 AM »
Sorry, I wan't clear, gotta have sauce on both sides :-)  After the first 50 minutes, sauce wait 10 minutes, turn sauce wait 10 (continue until satisfied).