Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib prep  (Read 973 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Rib prep
« on: April 15, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »
The grocery store had side ribs (aka St. Louis ribs) on sale yesterday so I bought four racks with the idea of firing up the WSM today.  I normally buy back ribs but they've had the side ribs on sale quite frequently over the last few months so I broke down and bought these with the idea of shredding the meat off the breastbones and making pulled pork sandwiches.  I forgot how much work preparing side ribs over back ribs is, with all the trimming that's required.

I decided to perform an experiment today:  the last time I made ribs, I ran out of rub partway through putting the rub on and I had to stop and make more.  The rack of ribs that sat with rub on it during the delay while I made more had a much richer flavour than the ones that I put rub on last.  So, today, I made enough rub and put it on all the ribs and let them sit for about two hours while I went out and did errands and got the WSM ready.  They went in the smoker about 2 to 2:15 later.  The smoker's at 225 degrees and the ribs have been in for two hours now.  I'm sitting in my back hard and it smells great.  Until the wind shifts and I catch a whiff of the neighbour's spray painting project that's going on in his garage.

It'll be interesting to see how these turn out!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Rib prep
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 04:43:04 PM »
I usually rub the night before.
Still need a 22” yellow