Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: STAND BACK, FOR TONIGHT I COOK WITH LIQUID FUEL.  (Read 2564 times)

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
Re: STAND BACK, FOR TONIGHT I COOK WITH LIQUID FUEL.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 08:44:48 AM »
Those grates look ready to go now, mine almost always look just like that. A hot fire, a good brushing and some oil and your ready to go. It's hot and dry where I live so I don't ever store mine out of the grill. I get a little rust just like those it it doesn't bother me but others I know don't like it.

The warming rack is extremely handy, I use it all kinds of ways. I put corn on it a lot or use it to roast peppers. When I'm doing skin on chicken I start with all burners on and get a good char going then turn the back burner off and load up the rack to finish them off or hold temps. Lots of uses for the warming rack.

I hate the lid rack, in my opinion it's worthless.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 08:51:05 AM »
I used my gasser this past Thanksgiving to roti a turkey along side the kettle roti turkey, so don't be afraid to load it up. It was funny, the ladies all preferred the gasser and the guys the kettle. Each bird was about 15lbs.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 09:53:58 AM »
It's humid enough in my area that anything that goes unused for a few months gets moldy, so I'm constantly fighting that with my various grates. It's seriously one of the main reasons I think I should purge a few machines ... I don't enjoy spending time doing chores before cooking, or worse, not having time to get a grill ready.

So the lid rack you don't like, is that because it can get in the way of what's on the grill (does it?) or because it sits too high (does it?) I can see uses for both racks based on where they are located but don't know what those uses might be yet. I like that the back rack wouldn't move and sits near the heat exhaust path.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »
All sounds good so far.

Like I said before, I have considered a gasser for the weeknight cooks. We really do grill our supper.

There have been some stuff popping up on CL for my area. I dont think I'm ready yet, but when we are I think this era of gasser is what I'm going to look at.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 12:27:05 PM »
I used my gasser this past Thanksgiving to roti a turkey along side the kettle roti turkey, so don't be afraid to load it up. It was funny, the ladies all preferred the gasser and the guys the kettle. Each bird was about 15lbs.

Did you get a chance to compare taste of each bird? (I'm referring to the poultry!)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 12:33:15 PM »
... I have considered a gasser for the weeknight cooks. ...

Even though I don't "work" there has been many a cook where I don't start anything until about 4pm and we don't typically eat late unless I screw something up. Of course, I can't smoke unless I start it significantly earlier. It's 4:30 and the corned beef has been on for 30 mins. We'll eat at 6:30 probably (but this is Saturday.)

Back when I was getting home at like 7pm none of this, even with a gasser, would have been possible during the week. As was mentioned elsewhere, in practice there's very little difference in setup time between kettle vs. gasser. I'll say, it's about 15 minutes more with charcoal. It's like I tell my middle schooler, "If you need an extra 5 or 10 minutes to do your homework, do it the night before, NOT as you should be headed out to catch the freakin' bus!"

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 06:28:26 AM »

Did you get a chance to compare taste of each bird? (I'm referring to the poultry!)

Of course I did! I did a 24 brine on both birds and both were amazing. The kettle cooked bird had a nice smokey flavor, the gasser version was just like a giant roti chicken, super moist and tender. Mostly because the kettle cooked bird finished first was it a bit drier, I had to hold it for about 45 min waiting for the other to finish. Will hopefully be doing them both again this year.