Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: achieving 215-230 degrees and blue smoke  (Read 4660 times)

S!LVER

• Smokey Joe
Re: achieving 215-230 degrees and blue smoke
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 09:47:15 AM »
just a quick update.  I did a nice long cook on the weekend well 5 hrs.  one batch of briquettes was used.  I started 12 up and dumped them on a load of until.  Same procedure that I have done int he past.  I had 230-240 temps the whole time.  Main difference for me was I changed the brand of briquettes.  I used maple leaf briquettes 100% hardwood.  I found a big difference in the amount of white smoke too. 

I state this not to bash KBB but to help anyone else who struggled the way I did.  I know a lot of people have done well by KBB.  But for those who struggle maybe try switching briquette brands.  it worked for me. 

Cheers

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 05:48:19 PM »
Awesome. Glad you found something that worked for ya bud.

codeNinja

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »
I have pretty good luck using the snake method. Usually use kbb, but stubbs and other briquettes work with little noticeable difference. I start with 6-8 lit to start the fuse depending on outside temp. I set the bottom vent around a quarter open and leave the top open all the way unless temp gets too high. Generally speaking this will get me close to 8 hours before I need to add any additional charcoal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 07:04:16 AM »
…. @S!LVER , I swear by Maple Leaf briquets.  They are awesome !!

They are my go-to briq for the snake / fuse method.  Can get 11 plus hours out of them.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/fuse-snake-lasted-11-plus-hours/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.