Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber 26" temp. question  (Read 1758 times)

bbquy

• WKC Brave
Weber 26" temp. question
« on: April 14, 2016, 08:12:10 PM »
I've been using the 22" performers for years now and just bought a new Weber 26". I just wondering if I need to use more charcoal to maintain a 250 degree temp? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Weber 26" temp. question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 08:46:14 PM »
Using what charcoal method? In general a 250F fire is controlled by charcoal qty AND airflow so you can conceivably use a similar charcoal setup and slightly more air. It might not last as long though.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 02:54:30 AM »
You'll use a little more charcoal to maintain the same temps over a similar time frame.

It's a larger volume of air that has to be heated, so it's going to take more fuel.

Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 03:36:00 AM »
Like it was mentioned above.....it takes "a little" more charcoal to get the temp where you want. The other thing to note is that you are most likely putting a larger load of meat in it as well.......more space, more thermal mass, more air volume.  That being said, it won't take much of a learning curve to get it dialed in.  I love cooking on my 26er.

That being said, I personally think that the 26er holds that 220-250 range SOOOOO much better than any of my 22's ever have.  I have always struggled keeping a 22" kettle in that low smoking range, but my 26er just settles right in and puffs away for hours with very little effort.
-Keith

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 05:20:59 AM »
One interesting wrinkle, for me, is that both of my old 26ers have drooping charcoal grates, so I'm inclined to flip them in an effort to let the heat slowly (and hopefully) bend them back to level. I tried standing on them but that only damaged them more.

Anyway, flipping them results in the distance between charcoal and food being very small, only like 4-5 inches max ... just like the top "sear" position of a Summit Charcoal (right? RIGHT??) A full charcoal holder winds up having coals right under the cook grate, touching it (and so, further weakening that unobtanium part!)

So I either spread out food farther way or deal with somewhat less predictable (controllable) heat.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 04:43:17 PM »
As I recall, several of the members this past year determined that, all things being equal, same temp/same cook time required about 20%-25% more coal when going from 22" to 26".  I also recall that going from the 22" to the 18" required about 20% less coal.  Can't remember the post though.   

Maybe a 2x3 snake went to a 3x4 or so ???                          SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 05:07:03 PM »
@pbe gummi bear I am generally using the minion method.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 05:09:42 PM »
Thank you everyone for all of your help! I'm hoping to do my first smoke on it next weekend and yes I'll be sure to post pics! ;D