Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: $75 Ranch Kettle :)...but...  (Read 9266 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Re: $75 Ranch Kettle :)...but...
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 02:12:10 PM »
I'm going to do some measuring tonight and find out before I pull the trigger.  That would be awesome.  The center hinge isn't ideal in my opinion, but I'm willing to try it out.  In my case, this would be a game changer. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 02:39:09 PM »
I picked up a new RK grill the other week for the stacker on my Ranch
$350 from Weber. I looked at having one made but I think there was 40+ lineal metres of SS rod in a grate. It was more expensive to buy the materials than it was to buy one from Weber
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
UPDATE:

So, I am in the process of restoration.  There was only one vent left on the bottom of the kettle, and after clearing away the grime, saw it is an N code.  1991?  According to the Ranch Kettle History, the new style of RK came out in 1992.  Regardless, this is probably the first year of the new style RK.  I had been trying to get the bowl off the frame since Wednesday night, and no amount of WD40 rust penetrant and my brute force could pry off any of the rusted on bolts.  The amount of rust on this one is surprising to me.  My only thought is that being in Tustin, CA, it had too much exposure to ocean breezes? 

So, this morning I went to Harbor Freight and bought an angle grinder with a 4.5 inch cutting blade.  10 minutes later, those bleeping bolts were gone.

SADLY, I cut a SMALL hole in the kettle near one of the bolts.  CRAP.  Not bad, and it is where the bowl is snug up to the frame, but CRAP. 

Finally, I used a rubber mallet to bang the one handle back into pretty good shape per fedex's suggestion.

So, now I cleaned up the bottom vent, used 0000 steel wool and dish soap to clean the bowl and lid. 

Finally, I started using a wire brush attachment for my drill to clean the lid bale. 

Now...here's my question:

Can I repaint both the bowl and kettle?  I saw someone recently used 2000 degree paint on a kettle.  Would that work OK on the bowl?  There's a couple pretty extensive areas of rust I'd like to protect long term. 

Finally, just out of curiosity, any idea why the rust makes raised "pimples"?  Just curious. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2016, 04:29:49 PM »
Rust raises/expands as a result of the steel being displaced by water. So it kinda separates in flakes.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2016, 04:40:45 PM »
Your doing fine. The kettle has more to gain through a bit of restorative damage than it stands to lose, since your being careful as possible really.

I agree on the salt air theory. In auto body applications when you see a rust bubble under the finish its often followed by a pin hole through the steel.

In my opinion you have a perfect opportunity to do anything you want to do with it and make it a unique kettle, with a character of its own, that no one will ever see anywhere else.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2016, 05:30:30 PM »
I painted my Ranch with Rust Oleum BBQ black. HD sells it in a quart. Thinned it with mineral spirits and sprayed through an HVLP gun. So far, it's holding up pretty well, and I like the satin black finish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2016, 06:23:06 PM »
I painted my Ranch with Rust Oleum BBQ black. HD sells it in a quart. Thinned it with mineral spirits and sprayed through an HVLP gun. So far, it's holding up pretty well, and I like the satin black finish.

That is a sweet looking Ranch.  Just wondering, any of you with the older Ranch's ever think about using longer legs?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:25:11 PM by fedex »
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2016, 06:45:07 PM »

That is a sweet looking Ranch.  Just wondering, any of you with the older Ranch's ever think about using longer legs?

Noupe.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

bwb

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 02:31:25 AM »
My big tow behind smoker has expanded metal grates.
I bet you can have a welder make you a top grate for less than $200
Cut out the circle and weld a few rebar supports under it and rebar handles.
Heck- Ive thought about doing the same on my performer when the grate wares out.
It will be heavier and thicker than the factory one...
09 Green Performer, 04 Silver Genesis A...

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 07:11:50 AM »
Thanks guys for all the ideas and support.  I have a crazy busy week, and will get back to restoration probably on Saturday.  I've decided to paint it all.  I'm excited. 

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2016, 02:27:40 PM »
UPDATE:

The frame has been repainted.  I'm priming the bowl and lid...just a couple more questions for you all.

I used this rustoleum 2000 degree primer.  I'm hoping to finish it with 2000 degree paint followed by clear gloss.  Once you put on the actual paint, the directions say you need to bake it between each step.  Sadly, I ran out of primer while doing the lid, but the bowl is complete.  I'm thinking I could place a smokey joe under the dome with some coals to reach the 250 degrees for 30 minutes, followed by 400 degrees for 30 minutes with a cooldown between each cook.  What does everyone think about this?  I'm hoping this 2000 degree paint will keep everything well protected.

On the other hand, the High heat ultra grill paint shown above requires NONE of those steps.  It says it is good up to 1200 degrees.  It has a nice sheen, but I'm thinking 2000 degree paint might hold up better.  Any advice would be helpful.  Anyway, here are some pics!

Bowl before priming:

After priming:

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2016, 04:50:20 PM »
The paint I used on mine was 1200 degree paint and it's held up great..just kinda lost it's slight sheen. If you have a WSM the ring makes a helluva charcoal basket. I use my 22 WSM ring a lot on the ranch.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2016, 05:39:29 PM »
A Smokey Joe is so small ... it will concentrate the heat. Most of the Ranch won't get the heat from it. I think you'd have better success building some  heat into a 22 and setting the RK part on top, with a spacer if possible.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

siege

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2016, 10:09:26 PM »
When you go to get your washers, look at "fender washers". They come in all the standard hole sizes, but the rest of the washer is much wider, and can cover a larger area. This may help if the center hole for the damper is enlarged due to rust or damage.
 My local "big box" hardware stores have specialty fasteners in trays, and  you can buy them individually, so you don't pay for a big box full that you don't need.