Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: $75 Ranch Kettle :)...but...  (Read 9280 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: $75 Ranch Kettle :)...but...
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 04:48:56 PM »
Expanded metal for a cook grate won't suffice very long for a grill that's only occasionally used, will it?

As long as it's not galvanized it's OK. But then again, ya gotta keep it greased "just so," not enough to cause ickiness but not too little to allow rust.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 05:20:33 PM »
@crowderjd, I have a top lid vent you can have for free if you want it? Weber had to replace my lid under the warranty. I took the lid vent off before scrapping the lid, so there's nothing wrong with the vent. Let me know if this helps?

On that out of round lid, try getting a big bar clamp and clamping it tight across the lid in the opposite direction to squeeze it back round. On the charcoal grate, straighten/bend/hammer it back into shape as flat as you can get it and then cut a round piece of expanded metal the exact size of the grate and lay it over the top and secure it around the outer frame edge.

The cooking grate you might have to bite the bullet and get a new one? They are $270 new from Weber. (ouch!)I don't think it can be saved and I don't think I would want to cook my food on expanded metal?
Huh ???  .....don't think you would cook your food on expanded metal ????   What do you think majority of stick burner an backyard grill grates are made of ?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I don't eat my food from a hillbilly cooker like you do.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 05:52:10 PM »
But Aaron Franklin makes it look easy! And he's done pretty well for himself lately with those.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Craig

• WKC Mod
$75 Ranch Kettle :)...but...
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 07:48:23 PM »
Congratulations on the find. As others have said, you can easily replace the bottom daisy vents and do the washer/bolt on the one bad one. As for the cooking grate, I don't know if that one is going to be salvageable but considering you got it for $75, a new grate would still make this a good deal for a Ranch.

Oh and as for cooking on expanded steel..

Wise guys use it..... :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:10:49 PM by Craig »

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 08:40:32 PM »
Well, I think I may be using the expanded steel for a bit.  @ramsfan thank you for the offer, I'm going to be contacting you.  I also plan on getting the daisy vent replacement from Weber.  This weekend I'm going to be seeing what I can do about straightening the handle.  I have a BIG party on May 1, and I'm hoping to get it up and running by then.  We shall see.  If not, I've got plenty of grills to handle the job that day :) 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 03:08:57 AM »
Have you looked at fire pit grates as a possible sub for the own Weber grate? Amazon has some in 36-40" range and much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 03:28:14 AM »
Let me address everybody who is making a big freaking deal about cooking on expanded metal: I know you can cook on it. Yes, I saw the movie Goodfellas where the happy gangsters were all sitting around in somebody's backyard in 1955 cooking up a bunch of Italian sausages and hot dogs and hamburgers. You'd think with all the money them stupid sob's stole in that movie that them dumbasses could have went out and bought themselves a Weber grill and cooked their meal with a proper piece of equipment like gentlemen instead of cooking a meal like a bunch of hobos down at the freight yard. It's just a personal preference of mine to cook my food on a clean, proper surface whenever possible.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 09:39:07 AM »
My Holland Grill (Legacy) has SS EM grates with lifetime warranty (Sourced in South GA)

Replacements Not cheap tho...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 09:44:12 AM »
I thought about the mod @Hell Fire Grill did with EM grates but my local welder supply wants far too much for SS EM (thinner too)

Guess I'll eventually get the 22" weber SS grate
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 10:14:09 AM »
@blksabbath do you have any links for that on Amazon?  I google searched for fire pit grates yesterday and nothing came up.  I'd look into it.  Thanks!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 12:32:48 PM »
THANK YOU!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »
Those grates could be a game changer for beat up ranches. I've passed on a few cheap rk's becuase of the cost to replace them.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 01:30:06 PM »
Is it known as fact that those grates fit the RK?   Or just speculation at this point?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk