Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My new little cooker  (Read 2274 times)

Jon

• WKC Ranger
My new little cooker
« on: April 10, 2016, 09:02:16 PM »
I was fortunate enough to have Jeff agent an 18 out of Chicago. It was one that was posted here in Online Finds, and Jeff got right on it for me. He checked it out, sent me a report, bought it, packed it, and shipped it at a low rate. Really an above and beyond effort, and I am grateful that there are people like Jeff involved with this site. So thank you again, Jeff.

So here it is, installed at my place and ready to cook:

Ok, not that one. This one.

A little black 18, maybe a '69 with those wheels. What very few ding it has are minor, everything on it is in good shape. I'll clean the triangle a little and not much more.

I've cooked on it the past two nights. Both cooks were set up the same way. One mini chimney of coconut in a single basket on one side. The 18 cooked very efficiently, it just came up to temp and held steady. I've never owned an 18, and it is neat how quickly it can recover temp after having the lid off.

Saturday, before going to the hockey game I put on farro - for salad, baby bok choy, a slab of cauliflower, and turnips. Sorry about the weird overhead pics, I'll have to change up the angle next time.

The farro came off, and the veg was joined by a ribeye. That red rub on the steak is a local one, "Brother Rays '08er Rub." It was good, tasted like SPG and ground chiles.

Plated.

Tonight the cook was carrots, sprouts, and two racks of lamb. I had to tilt the lamb to fit.

This 18 is the oldest kettle that I have, and it cooks like a dream.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: My new little cooker
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 09:10:50 PM »
Looks great all around. Those era kettles are super well built. That amount of lighter fluid looks like something @Jeff would have. lol
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 09:28:33 PM »
That is making me hungry!
Beautiful meals, and a very nice old kettle.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 04:06:33 AM »
@pbe gummi bear, I don't think I'll ever live that down regarding the lighter fluid!  Thanks for the reminder!! Lol
@Jon , what an awesome way to break that grill "back in".
Glad u enjoyed it.  I was happy to help getting it to you safely! !
Kettle collector AND cooker!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 04:41:15 AM »
Beauty!  Looks like a real nice cook!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 05:08:00 AM »
What a neat thing to press that back into service like that.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 04:42:12 PM »
Nice kettle and beautiful food.  Great cook!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 06:27:22 PM »
Looks great all around. Those era kettles are super well built. That amount of lighter fluid looks like something @Jeff would have. lol

The "Lighter Fluid Kettle" is just something that I saw on Santa Barbara CL. I thought that the pic was funny and saved it for use at the right moment. I didn't actually make a Jeff/Lighter Fluid connection. More like some Oildale humor.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 04:51:21 PM »
What a nice grill and cook. Tell ya what other than the limited space factor, I love my 18" and jumbo Joe the best. They are just wonderful grills. Less fuel, great temperature recovery, etc.. Tfs

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 05:23:12 PM »
Nice looking grill, and great cook!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 08:42:28 AM »
Damn cool old grill. Right on @Jeff ....I recall you helping me out in a big way last Summer when I came down to Chicago for the meetup. Getting that oldie out to Bakersfield was a good thing to do.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"