Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rainy Day Wings  (Read 1842 times)

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Rainy Day Wings
« on: April 10, 2016, 02:16:43 PM »
Chicago so its raining on and off today but... I WANT WINGS!  Went to the store and NO WINGS! But they had Drumettes That will work  :)

Now the big question we all ask what grill do I use??? Dual OTP, Red MT, no I'll get wet >:(. Gas? No I'm not warming them up! The Blue OTP? YES! ;D she has a umbrella right by her!

Charcoal lit and Apple chunk on it

Prepare the Drumettes used John Henry's Hot Wing Rub for the first time also added all purpose flour.

Got some nice smoke now

About 1.5 hours into the cook Grill at 225-250

At 2hrs Done!

Now I know some of you may want to know "How was the John Henry's Hot Wing Rub?" I loved it, My son the same, Wife said only use 1/2 next time for me ???

I'll be picking up some more of this company's product very soon.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Rainy Day Wings
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 12:31:42 AM »
Wings look REAL good!! Give up on the vortex already?

Handle looks awesome on that blue too, dayum!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 02:55:46 AM »
I cooked up some wings and drummies too yesterday but cooked them vortex-style.  I haven't been able to produce the same crispy skin results cooking them any other way but high indirect heat like that.

Yours look real good, what was the thought process on the low and slow vs the vortex wings, and what does the flour do for it?  More crispy?

Looks real good!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 06:12:46 AM »
@Troy
Wings look REAL good!! Give up on the vortex already?

Handle looks awesome on that blue too, dayum!

Vortex give up? No just trying something different. I liked it!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 06:15:56 AM »
@captjoe06

I cooked up some wings and drummies too yesterday but cooked them vortex-style.  I haven't been able to produce the same crispy skin results cooking them any other way but high indirect heat like that.

Yours look real good, what was the thought process on the low and slow vs the vortex wings, and what does the flour do for it?  More crispy?

Looks real good!

Just wanted to try something other then the Vortex. As far as flour goes it gets the shicken more crispy

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 06:25:19 AM »
@captjoe06

Looks real good!

Just wanted to try something other then the Vortex. As far as flour goes it gets the shicken more crispy
So what would you do next time? Vortex or thus way,  out of curiosity?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 06:51:21 AM »
@captjoe06

Tough call! I like the speed of the vortex but I like the smoke on low and slow. I'd say if having a lot of people over Vortex. For a day with nothing to do low and slow

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 05:32:37 AM »
Man, that was one rainy day. I dont think I've ever low and slowed wings before. This must be tried. Were going to have some great weather this week! 70ish on Sat and Sun!