Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slide aside vs lid bale  (Read 5403 times)

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Slide aside vs lid bale
« on: February 27, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »
The slide aside sells for about $28.00 on Amazon, the lid bale assembly sells for 18.48 on a parts web site, any reason not to go with the lid bale on a kettle that never had one...other than having to drill holes?

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Slide aside vs lid bale
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »
The lid bail is nicer looking and cleaner in my opinion.  I've never used the lid slide aside, but heard all positive stuff about it.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 01:25:56 PM »
I agree. I just bought a slide aside without realizing the lid bale is about $10.00 cheaper.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:10:59 PM »
I like the bale better, but like the slide aside for grills you really don't want to drill into. You can also move  it when you switch grills. I think it's good to keep one around.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »
I have both. The one benefit that the slide aside has over the lid bale is that when the lid is in the open position, it is nearly straight up and down vertical. That gives you good access to everything on the grate.

When the lid is in the open position with the lid bale, it isn't standing up completely straight. It still leans in towards the center of the grate at an angle. However, the lid bale has a much smoother action when opening and closing which I like. To me, the determining factor would be having to drill them holes in the kettle which I wouldn't have the heart to do especially if it was an older kettle.  So for me, if it wasn't already equipped with a lid bale from the factory, I would go with a slide aside. 
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 04:43:31 PM »
I have the Slide Aside only. My red OT faked out to a MT sans thermometer has two bowl handles and I am not going to sledge hammer a good handle off to put a lid bale on. Now if I had a regular black OTS, I'd totally reftrofit a lid bale on to it. Plus I like that I can put the slide aside on any of my kettles on any side of the bowl I choose. That's one advatange.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:45:05 PM by Craig »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:49:35 PM »
I agree with these guys, but the bale is ultimately better...but I wouldn't drill an old kettle. 
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 06:54:15 PM »
I agree with these guys, but the bale is ultimately better...but I wouldn't drill an old kettle.

Not even one that looks like this...

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 06:59:22 PM »
I wouldn't drill an old kettle.
Agreed!

Chad, it's your call, but if it were me, probably not. But that's just me. Unless the handle (the metal part) is already loose or unstable.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:01:31 PM by Craig »

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 08:32:31 AM »
Thread resurection:     

Assuming a person really likes the lid bales (I do),   is there a reason you guys would not add a lid bale to a "newer" OTG that has two handles by placing it BETWEEN the handles?  It appears as though there is enough space to do it, thus eliminating the "handle removal" question.  Will this not work, or is it simply a question of impropriety.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »
Thread resurection:     

Assuming a person really likes the lid bales (I do),   is there a reason you guys would not add a lid bale to a "newer" OTG that has two handles by placing it BETWEEN the handles?  It appears as though there is enough space to do it, thus eliminating the "handle removal" question.  Will this not work, or is it simply a question of impropriety.

I would drill one of those, but prefer to remove the back handle and make it look original. Here's mine. It's my favorite grill.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 08:57:47 AM »
And do you have a picture of the removed handle?   

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 09:15:32 AM »
I wouldn't drill an old kettle.  If I was gonna do a new kettle I would use a OTS that way it only has a handle on one side anyhow...Then transfer all the parts to upgrade it to a mock Mastertouch.  That's me.  Oh, and yea I would drill that old red rat, but you still need to deal with the side handles.  I have a slide aside on my 26 and the lid is very heavy and if your not careful where you put the slide aside it will flip the grill when you open the lid, especially if it is too far to the front where it has no extra leg support.  I'm careful and I know what I'm doing but someone else may have a problem.  That being said thta is an old 26 with a heavy lid.  A 22 prob wouldn't have that problem.  As far as putting the lid bale between the handles, I think it's weird and I wouldn't do it.  Again that's just me.  I am a little particular, but it could certainly be done....

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 09:21:02 AM »
As far as putting the lid bale between the handles, I think it's weird and I wouldn't do it.  Again that's just me.  I am a little particular, but it could certainly be done....

This is the way I am leaning too.

The thing about finding an OTS instead of an OTG is that, in the used market the prices are actually nearly ifdentical, but woith the OTG you do not need to fiddle with finding a donor ash ring and pan.  Not a deal breaker of course - just eliminates a step.

You will apreciate that I am lookign for a blue Master Touch, and struggling to find one, so trying to keep my options open.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 05:48:16 PM »
I come across so much shit I seem to have enough parts to make one of these....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2