Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WKC History  (Read 6048 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
WKC History
« on: April 05, 2016, 07:10:38 AM »
Is there a post or thread that talks about the WKC history and how it got started? If not, I think that would be kind of cool to read about.  As much as this group is into Weber history, may be a good idea to keep an accurate history of the beginnings of the WKC
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: WKC History
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 09:23:46 AM »
It all began some 80 years ago, when Troy grew up as a poor black man working on a sharecropper farm ... some things have happened along the way.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 02:58:17 PM »
It all began some 80 years ago, when Troy grew up as a poor black man working on a sharecropper farm ... some things have happened along the way.

Thanks! I haven't laughed that hard since I was a little girl!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:18:58 PM »
as for wkc history, i'm sure i've written up the story at least a few times.

i'll look for it when I have a bit more time.

There's also a write-up about the founders and statesman here - http://weberkettleclub.com/meet-the-wkc/
it contains a few tid-bits about the history, but not complete.

Normal_J_Bird

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 04:17:25 PM »
Thanks for re-posting this. As one of the newer members it's great to read this. Looking forward to more history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 04:21:41 PM »
WKC turns 4 this coming June, correct @Troy ? I know that's about the time things got all sorts of quiet at the other place.. I came aboard that August.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 06:33:47 PM »
as for wkc history, i'm sure i've written up the story at least a few times.

i'll look for it when I have a bit more time.

There's also a write-up about the founders and statesman here - http://weberkettleclub.com/meet-the-wkc/
it contains a few tid-bits about the history, but not complete.
That's a good read. I would be interested in other history as well.

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 07:38:56 PM »
Thanks for this!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 09:08:12 PM »
I have two dozen kids? [emoji848]

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 03:51:48 AM »
@Troy

"While other kettle heads were posting their collections of 2 or 3 black kettles – Jeff went thermonuclear and trumped everyone with his 10 colorful grills."

Now that sentence made me laugh out loud!  How collecting times have changed over such a short period of time.  So many awesome collections out there now!

What most don't know is my hobby started with my wife seeing a red kettle somewhere and wanting one for us.  The search began, and the rest was history.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 04:17:25 AM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 04:42:49 AM »
Part of the reason I begged Troy to start this, was the fact that we were goofing around on the other site so much we kept getting yelled at by the moderator and the other members didn't share our special brand of humor.  Plus we were so into the collecting aspect vs. cooking on a WSM, that is was just natural that we have our own site....Troy was at some death metal show in Seattle and I must have sent him 50 messages that we needed to start something of our own....he finally got back tome and the WKC was born.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »
Part of the reason I begged Troy to start this, was the fact that we were goofing around on the other site so much we kept getting yelled at by the moderator and the other members didn't share our special brand of humor.  Plus we were so into the collecting aspect vs. cooking on a WSM, that is was just natural that we have our own site....Troy was at some death metal show in Seattle and I must have sent him 50 messages that we needed to start something of our own....he finally got back tome and the WKC was born.....

YES. Great memory.
I WAS at a death metal show in Seattle.
I literally flew to Seattle to see Ghost, Mastodon, and OPETH.
Flew in at 2pm flew out at 3am.
13 hours of drunkeness, metal, and a billion text messages from Brian.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 09:23:29 AM »
Like every other day..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 09:32:03 AM »
Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 10:09:17 AM »
@Troy

"While other kettle heads were posting their collections of 2 or 3 black kettles – Jeff went thermonuclear and trumped everyone with his 10 colorful grills."

Now that sentence made me laugh out loud!  How collecting times have changed over such a short period of time.  So many awesome collections out there now!

What most don't know is my hobby started with my wife seeing a red kettle somewhere and wanting one for us.  The search began, and the rest was history.

Your wife should be here posting too!
It is amazing how things have changed. And seriously, I consider this all your fault :P