Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooking on my newly restored Performer  (Read 2348 times)

RSHU

• WKC Brave
Cooking on my newly restored Performer
« on: March 30, 2016, 08:01:34 PM »
I picked up this 2009 Performer a little while ago, been cleaning it bit by bit over a couple of months when time allowed. (Thats what happens when you have kids). There was definitely a thick layer of caked on residue from all the smoking this guy did with it. After a bunch of razor blades and elbow grease, I think I did a pretty good job. It looked brand new inside and out. It was hard cleaning under the top vent especially, but I was able to get it done. It also fires up perfectly every time, so this is what I use when starting coals in the chimney, even for my WSM. Thanks to the many contributors here for ideas and guides to cleaning, much appreciated!

I wish I had before pictures, but I guess I got too excited. Anyways here are some pics of tonight cook. I got a lot of enjoyment cooking on her tonight, especially after the hours of cleaning put into it. Not bad for 40 bucks! I ordered a metal table from Weber and it's on the way...

Smoked some ribs all day, then finished on the performer. A perfect combo of cookers perhaps?

Then a few wings for the fam...

Thanks for stopping by guys! Until next time...

Roger

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Cooking on my newly restored Performer
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 08:15:43 PM »
That's looking really good. Nice job.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 09:26:55 AM »
Good job man. Looks great!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 03:36:08 PM »
She's a beauty. I just started working on mine today :)
Same model same year, same color.
Great job!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 03:52:52 AM »
Great clean up and great pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 04:00:51 AM »
See the pics of yours with the nice handle has me jonesing for mine from @zavod44 . The metal table is supposed to arrive today.  Are you using the charcoal basket for charcoal or storage?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 04:07:48 AM »
Working on a ton of stuff, shipping ton of stuff today.  Shipping a ton next week as well....I hope to be caught up with current stuff in the next ten days, oh and this grill looks great.  With the upgrades this is maybe the best model ever performer...

Sent from a rotary phone

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 08:54:19 PM »
thanks guys! @captjoe06 congrats on your performer as well! I just put a full bag of charcoal in the bin for convenience, and it stays clean! @zavod44 I need at least one of your handles too!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 05:53:20 PM »
Dude that thing looks amazing! Please point me in the right direction of cleaning and care so I can keep my performer looking good like that. Only a year old and already some discoloration around the top vent and lots of smoke residue. Maybe I should get a WSM for dedicated smoking?
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »
Are you sure it was dirty?  The chicken looks delicious.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 02:34:31 PM »
Update: I installed the new table thanks to you fine folks here.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 02:49:51 PM »
This, my friends, is stunningly elegant. Black and chrome, er, stainless steel. Is there anything really better?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 04:10:18 PM »
Awesome job RSHU - well done.  Where did you purchase the table

Big Dave

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 05:05:08 PM »
Very cool!  Awesome clean up. Love the combination with the metal table.
'14 Genesis 330, '09 Performer Deluxe, 22" Kettle, 22" WSM, '97 900, '97 Genesis 3000

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 06:23:17 PM »
@G19 I got the table through Weber, but I didn't have enough skills to get them to send it for free like some others got. They sold it to me for about $38 plus shipping. I think its worth it though!