Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: **One small step towards total RED DOMINATION!**  (Read 3254 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: **One small step towards total RED DOMINATION!**
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 01:44:07 PM »
Nice! I've been staring at Junior so long now I'm actually turning a leaf on red. Well, for gassers anyway. :)

Also thinking about coffee roasting, so I'll check out the vids - thanks!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:41:20 PM »
Double therms!!! Love it!
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 08:33:28 AM »
OK @swamprb I watched the videos but want to know more pls.

Roasting drum on the spit, high-speed motor (from where? and why?) ... what else besides time and temp?

Also, I noticed you have all 3 burners up and temps are pegged. I thought coffee roasting didn't get super hot? I sometimes see the little short-lid Spirit 700's or whatever on CL, would the lower BTU of these 2-burners work for this?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 04:59:27 PM »
I just picked up a red Genesis 2000 that I am going to restore.
Can you give me any info on what is required to roast coffee beans as well?
Thanks

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 07:39:48 AM »
I just picked up a red Genesis 2000 that I am going to restore.
Can you give me any info on what is required to roast coffee beans as well?
Thanks
OK @swamprb I watched the videos but want to know more pls.

Roasting drum on the spit, high-speed motor (from where? and why?) ... what else besides time and temp?

Also, I noticed you have all 3 burners up and temps are pegged. I thought coffee roasting didn't get super hot? I sometimes see the little short-lid Spirit 700's or whatever on CL, would the lower BTU of these 2-burners work for this?

The Drum roaster I'm using is an RK Drums 4lb unit. It is an older version of the ones shown here: http://www.rkdrums.com/

It is handmade with a custom 50 RPM motor by Ron Kyle. A fellow roaster from the BBQ Brethren site sent me some beans from Papua New Guinea that he had roasted with a RK Drum - some of the best I'd ever had, and he hipped me to some links and I got rolling. Ron Kyle was a highly respected roaster and builder and his customer service was impeccable.

I prefer the Weber 1000 because it gets hotter faster than my Genesis C. The slide out bottom tray makes chaff cleanup a breeze. It is a dedicated roaster so no grilling meats on this.

I usually roast 1-1.5 lbs of beans at a time - figure 1 lb of green beans yield @ 12 oz roasted. Typically I select Single Origin beans recommended for Espresso or Espresso Blends from Sweet Maria's: https://www.sweetmarias.com/ And there you will find links to green beans, cupping reviews and more info.

The thermos were pegged because I probably neglected to turn the burners down while I was cooling the beans and loading up the drum with another batch. They usually roll @ 450*. Roast times vary due to outside temps, but roasts are @ 7-14 minutes on average.

If you buy an RK Drum setup you will get instructions and suggested sample roasting profiles, but its all dependent on the grill temps etc. It's fairly easy, its something you have to devote your full attention to, because you need to hear the beans cracking (like popcorn). I've probably roasted well over 500 lbs and only burnt 3 lbs. I've talked to a lot of commercial roasters that started on RK Drums.

@Gpinch1  @addicted-to-smoke  I hope this helps, be happy to answer anything I can

Brian
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Gpinch1

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 02:21:02 PM »
Brian thanks sooooooo much for all this information. I really appreciate it !

I just brought home my Genesis 2000 that I purchased for $10.00.
I have along road ahead of me on the restoration. Once its done I will look at the Drum Roasters !