Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My 1st rescue...1991 SS Performer Red  (Read 6074 times)

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
Re: My 1st rescue...1991 SS Performer Red
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 11:34:27 AM »
Great clean up. I have her sister redhead. A Looker and a Cooker.
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »
Nicely done Sir!  Slick lookin  redhead!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

magonzo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 12:26:52 PM »
I have been a Weber user since 2002. What amazes me is that they keep refining the products, but keep the basic recipe.  The parts on this 1991 performer are almost all interchangeable with the grills they produce today. The ash sweep, ash catcher, burners, etc. 

I have a 2002 OTS, a 2002 silver Genesis, both bought new, and a gas-n-go anywhere, a Weber Q and Jumbo Joe for the camper.
Rescued SSP Red, OTS, Jumbo Joe, Genesis Silver B, Weber Q, GnGo Anywhere

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2016, 12:35:52 PM »
I have had handles like that before.
I took the wood handle off and drilled through the flanges where the handle strap is welded to the dome. Find an appropriately sized stainless button head bolt, fender washer for the inside of the dome, lock washer and nut or jam nut. Bolt it all together. May not be original but it keeps the Webers working.

I agree....you can do this, if you do it clean it won't look bad at all, it will  greatly strengthen the feel of the handle.  I have had this same problem with these particular grills more than once......I have the charcoal bin you need...it won't be cheap to ship, but maybe someone will be in this area over Easter or something and we can get it to you if your interested.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 07:11:16 PM »
The charcoal bins I found online  are only for the no GA models.

I'm pretty sure the charcoal bins are identical between the two SSP models. I just swapped one from a SSP without the gas assist, to a SSP with gas assist. I didn't think to check if there was a difference, but it sure wasn't obvious if there was. I can verify this on Monday if you like. 

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »
Great Rescue, thank you.   That SSP is going to give you years of great cooks.   My local True Value Hardware sells the correct LPG tank for your SSP.   It's pricey though, but the TnG is a really great feature of this Performer.   Check out one near you.  Or you might find one nearby that needs the OPD upgrade, not a cheap proposition either.   In my case, the TnG was worth the money and effort.                         SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

magonzo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 02:40:47 PM »
Thanks Smokin Joe. I just installed the new style regulator.  I cobbled together a bracket and mounted it near where the large bottle would go.  Works like a champ.  I have the little control knob of the new regulator accessible from the front of the grill. I will post a pic once I get to the PC. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
My 1st rescue...1991 SS Performer Red
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2016, 07:21:15 AM »
@magonzo  -  What @Harbormaster and @mike.stavlund have said, you can secure the handle to the lid with SS bolts, washers and nuts.  My red SS had the same handle issue yours does.  I just left it alone until it finally popped off.  When it did pop off, it left small holes in the lid which made the nuts and bolts repair a lot easier since I didn't have to drill the lid.  I just made sure to use bigger washers than I really needed to make sure the pressure of the bolts is being spread out.  My handle is nice and tight now.  And since the actuall handle was still in very good shape I didn't use any washers on the handle side.  It let me keep the shiny SS bolts a little less noticable than it would be with washers.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:23:29 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

magonzo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2016, 08:53:23 AM »
Thanks Mike.  I did this repair a few days ago and it worked great.  Of course my drill bit wandered and one of the holes is slightly off center, but it looks good and is solid. I used 3/4" 1/4-20 screws with fender washers.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:41:07 AM by magonzo »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »
Good looking SS Redhead nice rescue and restore!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2016, 04:59:40 PM »
Way to bring this one back to life, this has to be one of the best grills weber has ever made!

magonzo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2016, 11:46:01 AM »
The bottom frame rails on my grill are loose.  The threaded inserts are all corroded where the bolts go through from the side.   I cannot find the inserts online, so I am thinking of running 3/8"threaded rod through the length of the rails and securing with nuts on each end, then dress it up with an acorn nut.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 07:27:10 PM »
@magonzo   I believe your SSP frame is held together by what are called "Star Nuts".  They come in at least two sizes and can be ordered from Amazon or purchased from your local bicycle shop.  They are known to rust and become less than reliable.  This replacement procedure has been heavily discussed in the past  ...  try a search or maybe one of the other members can provide a link.                               SJ

http://www.amazon.com/Wheels-Manufacturing-Double-Flanged-Steerer/dp/B00570UKT4?ie=UTF8&colid=2UWZ69FYGIW0O&coliid=INXF9IGIM6KRJ&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".