Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tried fresh Mozzarella?  (Read 62403 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Tried fresh Mozzarella?
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2016, 06:40:31 AM »
I'm really enjoying this thread.  Reminds me that one of the enjoyable aspects of kettle cooking-- and especially cooking pizzas!-- is managing all of the variables. 

For me, one key to pizza is minimizing moisture.  So my sauce gets reduced for a good while to remove much of the water content.  Because water keeps the temps from going up.  And I'm not sure if I'm using the same 'fresh' mozz as folks here are describing (mine comes as individual balls wrapped in plastic-- not floating in water), but I freeze the cheese for about an hour, then run it through the food processor to grate it.  Works really well for me.

YOU DO WHAT??? Just kidding, that actually sounds like a good idea.  As far as minimizing moisture, as I'm seeing that several people have mentioned that in one form or another, I don't worry about that when I do my pizzas.  I mash up San Marzano's and don't add anything, or cook it down.  I kind of think that some moisture gets hot fast from the high temps and helps get the rest of the dryer toppings going.  The fresh moz I usuallly get isn't in water, but is the softer of the wrapped in plastic stuff that you can get, not the really hard firm stuff.  It's basically the same as the floating in water stuff.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!