Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Provolone?  (Read 3345 times)

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Provolone?
« on: March 10, 2016, 09:59:25 AM »
I was talking to our church's Italian chef, Vito, last night, and he suggested I cook a provolone and prosciutto pizza. (And when I say Italian, I mean he was born there.) Well I got to thinking and remembered that Pizza Hut made one twenty something years ago while I was in college in southern IL. I remember it being square, delicious, and that Pizza Hut quit making it.

Now I know that it's often used in a pizza blend of cheeses, but has anyone used provolone, being the main cheese?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 10:01:37 AM by kettlecook »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Provolone?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 10:02:31 AM »
Nope, but I have eaten them.  I like doing white pizzas when adding proscuitto.  EVOO for the sauce, fresh mozzarella (I usually slice thing, then tear into smaller peices, ricotta, mined garlic.  Cook the pizza.  Toss arugula with a little bit of EVOO and some fresh lemon juice, add prosciutto then the arugula mix.  Awesome!!!  I'm sure provolone would be amazing as well.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 11:34:22 AM »

Nope, but I have eaten them.  I like doing white pizzas when adding proscuitto.  EVOO for the sauce, fresh mozzarella (I usually slice thing, then tear into smaller peices, ricotta, mined garlic.  Cook the pizza.  Toss arugula with a little bit of EVOO and some fresh lemon juice, add prosciutto then the arugula mix.  Awesome!!!  I'm sure provolone would be amazing as well.

Sounds like it's time to make dough again! Thanks.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 11:52:45 AM »
Go for it. Having wrapped asparagus in Provolone and Prosciutto I know the combo is a natural. 

I have used Provolone as well as Friulano and Fontina to augment good Mozzarella....usually 50/50 or thereabouts. Provolone and Friulano are roughly equal is similarity to Mozzarella so neither would be significantly different in taste/look.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 12:15:28 PM »

Go for it. Having wrapped asparagus in Provolone and Prosciutto I know the combo is a natural. 

I have used Provolone as well as Friulano and Fontina to augment good Mozzarella....usually 50/50 or thereabouts. Provolone and Friulano are roughly equal is similarity to Mozzarella so neither would be significantly different in taste/look.

That's all the further encouragement I need. And I really need to just have our Italian friend over to help. We're so blessed to have him cook for our Wednesday night fellowship suppers.

Thanks, man!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 04:34:01 PM »
Grated provolone and mozzarella, prosciutto, black olives and red onion. It was mighty tasty.