Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tried fresh Mozzarella?  (Read 60466 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Tried fresh Mozzarella?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »
@kettlecook  -  Look at your pic again this time on my pc, and it looks like (with knowing the crust wasn't quite done) that you just needed to give it another 1-2 minutes and it would have been perfect.

I took a ton of pics last night and will post my cook as soon as I get a chance.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Tried fresh Mozzarella?
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 12:24:51 PM »
@kettlecook  -  Look at your pic again this time on my pc, and it looks like (with knowing the crust wasn't quite done) that you just needed to give it another 1-2 minutes and it would have been perfect.

I took a ton of pics last night and will post my cook as soon as I get a chance.

Yes, since it was my last one, I was getting a little impatient and my temp was almost down to 600 if I recall. That being said, it sure was more stubborn to cook than grated cheese pizzas so I'll be cooking the next fresh mozzarella one much hotter and/or drop the oven ceiling. Thanks for your input! Looking forward to seeing your pizza pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 05:35:01 PM »

Yes, since it was my last one, I was getting a little impatient and my temp was almost down to 600 if I recall. That being said, it sure was more stubborn to cook than grated cheese pizzas so I'll be cooking the next fresh mozzarella one much hotter and/or drop the oven ceiling. Thanks for your input! Looking forward to seeing your pizza pics.

When I'm on my last pizza and the temps are starting to fall, I just throw a couple wood chunks right on the grate over the fire and give it a couple minutes before I put the pizza on. That's usually enough to drive the temp back up for the last pizza.

I can usually just throw the chunks through the slot in the front, so I don't lose any heat taking the lid off.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 06:42:03 PM »

When I'm on my last pizza and the temps are starting to fall, I just throw a couple wood chunks right on the grate over the fire and give it a couple minutes before I put the pizza on. That's usually enough to drive the temp back up for the last pizza.

I can usually just throw the chunks through the slot in the front, so I don't lose any heat taking the lid off.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Great idea. Thanks!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 07:52:47 PM »
That being said, it sure was more stubborn to cook than grated cheese pizzas so I'll be cooking the next fresh mozzarella one much hotter and/or drop the oven ceiling.

@kettlecook , your pizzas look pretty good to me!

It's definitley a challenge to get "fresh" mozzarella to brown the same as the grated stuff, without burning everything else, on pizzas with very thin crust.

This is a pizza I made this past Friday. I have fresh mozzarella, grated mozz and some parmesan, as well as the mushrooms. I could have left this one on a bit longer, but you can see the fresh wasn't browning at the same rate as the other toppings. It was still stringy, chewy and tasty, with crispy crust.   

Making pizza on the kettle is pretty darn fun and an inexpensive way to experiment with different methods and ingredients. Also, they cook pretty quick and keep the crowd happy, while we get to play with fire!  ;D

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 10:43:34 PM »
For the fresh mozzarella, you can try putting the slices between paper towels, on a plate, then stack another plate on top to squeeze out some of the moisture. Maybe add a can or something weighty on top.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 05:01:01 AM »

That being said, it sure was more stubborn to cook than grated cheese pizzas so I'll be cooking the next fresh mozzarella one much hotter and/or drop the oven ceiling.

@kettlecook , your pizzas look pretty good to me!

It's definitley a challenge to get "fresh" mozzarella to brown the same as the grated stuff, without burning everything else, on pizzas with very thin crust.

This is a pizza I made this past Friday. I have fresh mozzarella, grated mozz and some parmesan, as well as the mushrooms. I could have left this one on a bit longer, but you can see the fresh wasn't browning at the same rate as the other toppings. It was still stringy, chewy and tasty, with crispy crust.   

Making pizza on the kettle is pretty darn fun and an inexpensive way to experiment with different methods and ingredients. Also, they cook pretty quick and keep the crowd happy, while we get to play with fire!  ;D

That one looks really good. I hear ya on how easy it is to experiment since cooks are quick and getting to play with fire. My buddy cooks some mighty fine pizzas on his Primo ceramic cooker but I tell him he doesn't know what he's missing.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 05:02:55 AM »

For the fresh mozzarella, you can try putting the slices between paper towels, on a plate, then stack another plate on top to squeeze out some of the moisture. Maybe add a can or something weighty on top.

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip!

Swamp Yankee

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 01:20:04 PM »

I do the same thing by dicing the mozzarella and putting it in a stainless or plastic colander over a pan.  Leave it at room temps for an hour or so and a whole lot of water weeps out of it.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 02:08:07 PM »

I do the same thing by dicing the mozzarella and putting it in a stainless or plastic colander over a pan.  Leave it at room temps for an hour or so and a whole lot of water weeps out of it.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks, man.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2016, 02:54:13 PM »

I don't drain or pat  dry at all and have had no problems.  The first time I used fresh moz, I had a friend who is the executive chef of a place that does really good Italian including wood fired pizzas and he didn't have me dry my moz.  They make their own there and its very moist.  So do with that info what you want too.  LOL.  I'll ask him about it the next time I see or talk to him.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »
Hey, sorry to jump in but this is/was a great conversation. I have a question about the steel. What exactly is that? I figure from the conversation its something you put on top of the accessory and then the lid, trying to radiate heat closer to your pie? Pizza's look pretty darn good though.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 04:23:16 PM »
@Travis  Check out this link ---> Steel for top of oven

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 05:12:03 PM »

I don't drain or pat  dry at all and have had no problems.  The first time I used fresh moz, I had a friend who is the executive chef of a place that does really good Italian including wood fired pizzas and he didn't have me dry my moz.  They make their own there and its very moist.  So do with that info what you want too.  LOL.  I'll ask him about it the next time I see or talk to him.

Mike, I wish there was a way we all could keep track of each other's oven setups. Did you lower the ceiling on your KettlePizza with foil or something?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 05:16:51 PM »
@kettlecook -  I have never used anything but my kettle lid...so far.   To me unless my stone is too hot I would end up burning the top of the pizza to get the crust done. Although I suppose if the high temps are held lower from the dome the stone would be hotter and maybe that wouldn't be an issue.  I feel like I'd be back to day one if I put something above my stone to alter the way things work.