Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wood Peel Recommendation  (Read 11023 times)

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
Wood Peel Recommendation
« on: March 08, 2016, 08:52:33 AM »
I've been checking out wood peels and before I pull the trigger thought I would ask around to see if someone has one they really like. 

Thanks!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Wood Peel Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 09:03:41 AM »
I use the Winco 22-Inch Wooden Pizza Peel with 12-Inch by 14-Inch Blade.  It is what my GF gave me with my KP for XMAS and I have had no issues with it so I ordered two more so I can have multiple pizzas ready to go once the KP is up to temp and ready.  I like the dimensions of this.  Anything bigger might not fit into the grill and these peels give me a good guide for how big to stretch my pizzas.  If you are using your peel as a siae guide, make sure your peel matches up with the size of your stone.  I know that as long as my pizza fits on my peel it will fit on my 15" stone.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Wood Peel Recommendation
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 11:19:55 AM »
Mike covered it but we just picked up a couple from Kitchen Collection for cheap. They seem to be the perfect size and work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:00:15 PM »
this is the one i got
http://amzn.to/1QKHR0R

I had planned on buying one of the slightly cheaper ones, but this one was available with amazon Prime NOW - which delivers in one hour.

Turns out, the peel is freaking gorgeous. It looks so great that my wife wants to hang it on the wall when not in use.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 08:01:31 PM »
oh, and it works very well!! But its really the only wooden peel i've ever used.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 06:25:37 AM »
Quick note, my GF washed my peels then stacked them in our dry sink instead of drying them immediately last Friday and two of them warp a little bit.  They still work fine, but always make sure you dry them immediately after washing them!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 06:52:48 AM »
Quick note, my GF washed my peels then stacked them in our dry sink instead of drying them immediately last Friday and two of them warp a little bit.  They still work fine, but always make sure you dry them immediately after washing them!

I bet that was a fun conversation

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 06:55:23 AM »

It could have gone bad but I phrased it more like I was trying to figure out what she did so that we could make sure not to do it again, instead of in a I am mad kind of way.  I made sure to include that it was no big deal and the concave warping would probably make it easier to get pizzas on the grill.  LOL!!!!  I also told her to just leave my peels I used last night on the counter and I would clean them this morning!!!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »

It could have gone bad but I phrased it more like I was trying to figure out what she did so that we could make sure not to do it again, instead of in a I am mad kind of way.  I made sure to include that it was no big deal and the concave warping would probably make it easier to get pizzas on the grill.  LOL!!!!  I also told her to just leave my peels I used last night on the counter and I would clean them this morning!!!!

Thanks for the tip. You are one smart guy. I probably would've stepped in it. [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 07:42:16 PM »
+1 for metal peels. ;)
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 07:35:35 AM »

Update!!!!!  I washed my peels yesterday after using them the night before.  I washed them then hand dried them and left them sitting flat to finish drying and the warping from the previous mishap has almost totally gone away!!!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 11:56:09 AM »

Update!!!!!  I washed my peels yesterday after using them the night before.  I washed them then hand dried them and left them sitting flat to finish drying and the warping from the previous mishap has almost totally gone away!!!

Plus you have GF credit that can be applied to something else.  It's a win win.  Don't wait too long on that credit, it expires really fast. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 12:12:41 PM »

Plus you have GF credit that can be applied to something else.  It's a win win.  Don't wait too long on that credit, it expires really fast.

She doesn't know that they unwarped themselves!!! ;D

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 02:40:52 PM »
I'd to to a local restaurant supply store and check some out. They usually have a few wood and metal options in various sizes and lengths. Great prices usually too.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Swamp Yankee

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 05:00:58 PM »
I bought mine at a restaurant supply store - not a lot of money as I recall - and I've had it for several years.

I made it a little easier to work with by drawing a 12" circle on it - which really helps when you're using a 13" stone :D