Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mike's KettlePizza Pacman  (Read 7143 times)

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Mike's KettlePizza Pacman
« on: March 16, 2016, 10:28:11 AM »
Thanks to MikeRocksTheRed for his Pacman setup. Worked great for a couple of quick pizzas we just did for lunch. My objective was to get a little more heat under the stone and it worked great. The crust was probably my best yet, and the only issue I had this cook was that the wind changed direction on me and made the second one take a couple minutes longer.

Pacman setup with baskets also protects the bowl from the heat. I apologize for my umbrella's shadow in this post cook shot.

Prosciutto with provolone

Basic pepperoni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:34:10 PM by kettlecook »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Mike's KettlePizza Pacman
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 10:34:13 AM »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »
that is a nice looking pizza, nice job
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 02:45:31 PM »
Great looking pies!

Your charcoal set-up looks familiar.   :) :) ;)   It works great.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 03:52:03 PM »
You nailed it my friend! Great looking pies. How much coals did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 04:26:23 PM »
Those pizzas look AMAZING  Dude!!!!!...gonna have to try that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 04:39:48 PM »

You nailed it my friend! Great looking pies. How much coals did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since I was only cooking two and already had a little leftover lump in my baskets, I only used 2/3 or thereabouts of a chimney of Kcomp. Thanks!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 04:48:30 PM »

Great looking pies!

Your charcoal set-up looks familiar.   :) :) ;)   It works great.

Main reason I copied Mike's coal setup was that I evidently haven't been getting enough heat under the stone with my banked "C" setup per the owner's manual. Your setup with the firebrick in the middle looks like it would be the ticket for really thin crusts, but my challenge has always been in getting the crust crisp before burning the cheese. Like those baskets!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 04:56:22 PM »

Rather assertive little man, Mike!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:40:30 AM by kettlecook »

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 06:50:21 PM »
I wanted to mention one thing I've learned, that I keep on learning when it comes to the KettlePizza. If I don't want to have to keep on adding wood, then use larger pieces. It's that simple, although yes, I have used pieces that are too big to get burning clean. Since my little offset smoker prefers kiln dried hickory and oak anyhow, I cut hickory or oak mini logs down as needed with my chop saw and an axe. Oak seems to burn longer than anything.

So anyhow, as it pertains to this cook, since MikeRocksTheRed likes the mesquite I went ahead and bought a little bag of chunks the other day. Well, they're too dern small and burn up in no time! (Yes, Mike, I know you already told me they would but I just wanted them for quick spikes of heat.) I think I'll buy a bag of mesquite mini logs next time I'm in Academy Sports and cut and split em down as needed.

Anyhow, I just wanted to suggest y'all getting some fireplace splits and cutting in half if you can't find mini logs for smokers. You'll want to make sure the wood is well seasoned, but the chunks I see in the stores are just too small for long hot burns in my experience. Or you can just use more or more expensive charcoal, I guess. It doesn't pertain to everything, but like they say, try everything and find out what works best for you.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:38:47 AM by kettlecook »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 05:03:08 AM »
The crust looks great. Nice cook man!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 06:49:32 AM »
@kettlecook - I bought a bag of kingsford mequite logs from Home Depot, but found they are too big to really get them burning good.  I guess my next purchase is going to have to be an axe so I can split them!  LOL.  You are definitely right that mesquite chunks burn up quick and need several re-ups to keeps things going.....as always mastering the kettle pizza is a work in progress!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 11:17:54 AM »

@kettlecook - I bought a bag of kingsford mequite logs from Home Depot, but found they are too big to really get them burning good.  I guess my next purchase is going to have to be an axe so I can split them!  LOL.  You are definitely right that mesquite chunks burn up quick and need several re-ups to keeps things going.....as always mastering the kettle pizza is a work in progress!

All you need is a Hudson Bay type 3/4 axe, not a full size felling axe. I've got a 10" compound miter saw but you probably could just use a cheap miter box for the occasional one that needs shortening.

To help get my wood going good I'll  make sure that two of the vents are wide open and pointed upwind, leaving the top off a little while at first. Turning the logs or chunks over also helps, as well as adding a couple more smaller pieces in between the large ones if needed. They'll catch and burn hot, and that's usually all you need to get the larger ones really going good. And in case you or someone else is wondering, I've yet to make a pizza that tasted smoky. I'm really interested in trying the larger mesquite pieces for more smoke flavor.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 11:20:08 AM »
@kettlecook -  I'm really interested in you trying the larger mesquite too!  I'm interested to see if it actually tastes different in the dough than what you have been using and if it does what you think about it!