Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer predicament  (Read 7531 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Performer predicament
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 08:32:01 AM »
Then you will be on the lookout for a colored SS, or just a colored bowl to put in it!  Doubles your chances.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 08:36:12 AM »
damned enablers! lol

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 09:04:23 AM »
The worst thing about the plastic table performers is that they are a pain to clean up, and can get ugly looking quick.  I just like the look of the SS better.  I'd get it, see what you think, then sell the one you don't like.  Kettle flipping is kind of fun. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »
The SSP is shorter.  The table is smaller, physically.  Mike already pointed out the difference in how the bin/flame access is a little unwieldy in the SSP.  I have been using a Gen2 for a couple of years and the charcoal stays dry in the bucket, although I also cover.  The bucket is bigger in the newer style, but it also occasionally flops open on its own, which is annoying.  I like the handles for wheeling around the SSP a little more than grabbing the table on the Gen2.  Personally, I've never found the top of the plastic performer to get any fuglier than a stainless steel surface, and with a dollar store degreaser spray and a paper towel wipe down mine looks fine.  I wouldn't put a just emptied chimney on the plastic table though.  5lb tank more economical than 1lbers...if you can get it filled/re-certified.

Basically, what do you like?  I agree that you should try both (c'mon, you can always squeeze in one more grill).  I'm sort of going through that myself.  I've had a disassembled SSP for a while but just brought home a black SSP and will see how it feels in somewhat regular use.

Good luck.  Keep us posted!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 10:22:29 AM »
I may try an SSp, but i'm gonna hold out for color

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »
My biggest preference with new performers is the height. Using regular kettles or sap is tough once your used to new performer but that's been covered by prior posters.

Here's an idea. Offer them $50. If they take it then you've swapped with $0 out of pocket cost or you can give your buddy the SSP. If they say no then maybe it's not meant to be.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 05:40:39 PM »
SSP...i sold all my non SSP performers..
Cool flip up table access..like the lowered height..easier to place food..work the fire zones....
SS table is the invaluable feature..i regularly fire up  2 SSPs..so lighting a chimney and then splitting the chimney bw the 2 drops small lit coals on the tables...the SS shrugs off any lit coals..no worries about damaged tables or stained tables
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 05:47:33 PM »
Imo..its always a good idea to have a spare ssp performers...some of the parts are either discontinued or expensive to buy..
You may eventually find your colored ssp ..but it may be missing ignition lighter plate...or a charcoal bucket or the wire rack ( all discontinued parts). ..if you have a good condition spare..you have all the spare parts required
Grills

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 06:12:49 PM »
The seller is considering a lower price. If it was anything other than black i would have got it without asking. It also has some bad fading on the lid, but i have a 2015 lid for it if i get it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 12:02:10 AM »
The worst thing about the plastic table performers is that they are a pain to clean up, and can get ugly looking quick.  I just like the look of the SS better.  I'd get it, see what you think, then sell the one you don't like.  Kettle flipping is kind of fun.

Do the table swap with the 2015 metal one, you'll love it.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 01:11:19 AM »
    I would be patient and wait for a colored SSP, you have the third gen performer to tide you over until true happiness arrives. Are there any specific accessories you want that would go well with the SSP, you could concentrate on getting those parts now until your colored SSP shows up. With me I knew I wanted the complete weber style 644x series of tools and the complete gourmet bbq system to go with my C&B performer. That kept me busy until one showed up. Just throwing it out there good luck.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 11:39:46 AM »
@firedude5015 , I have both an SS Performer and a gen2 Performer. In my opinion, the only advantage to the SS model is the appearance; I love the look of the SS table!
 I am over 6' tall, so I appreciate the height of my gen2. I use the charcoal bins for accessory storage, so that is a wash. SS Performer frames have weak joints and become sloppy, especially if exposed to weather. There are ways to fix this, but it wouldn't be needed with the later generations.
My gen2 performer has become my daily cooker. My SS holds my Cajun Bandit stacker and sits in the garage until I use it.

$0.02
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 12:06:48 PM »
@jcnaz  that's what i was thinking. A colored performer will come along when the time is right, or the seller will accept my lower offer on this one. Either way I LOVE my gne 3 performer and kinda hate to part with it

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 04:06:30 PM »
I have a pair of working Performers, a Gen1 SSP and a Gen3 C&B  ...  I love em both.   Always a toss up which one to fire up.   As they say; "sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't".                                SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 05:11:11 PM »
That $100 performer is still undervalued. You can usually sell them for 150-175 in decent shape. So either way you aren't losing out. If used performers are rare to begin with in you area I would just go ahead and pick up the SS. You might find a 2005+ model with a blue, green, or copper kettle and you'll be in great position to swap it in.  Ymmv.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791