Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal basket or Rails?  (Read 19756 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Charcoal basket or Rails?
« on: July 17, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »
Currently i have the the charcoal baskets from Weber and was wondering if anyone has used the charcoal rails i've seen on Webers site? If you have them how do you like them? I'm considering them as an alternitive to the baskets. Thanks
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Charcoal basket or Rails?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 06:44:35 PM »
I use one rail in a smokey joe. I also have a nice old set of deep baskets that came with the master touches. You would be better off making your own to size with expanded metal. It will also eliminate the problems of having the porcelain fall off like Scotty's sad looking grill with white plastic handles did. ;D

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 07:39:41 PM »
I like that basket shaun.  As far as the rails.  I like the rails but they seem to always fall over for me so I go with the newer aluminum or stainless baskets.  Maybe I'll try the rails again.

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 07:47:16 PM »
Baskets are a lot easier and better for me..
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 03:40:54 AM »
I use one rail in a smokey joe. I also have a nice old set of deep baskets that came with the master touches. You would be better off making your own to size with expanded metal. It will also eliminate the problems of having the porcelain fall off like Scotty's sad looking grill with white plastic handles did. ;D

Shaun, I've been either piling up or using a firebrick to hold my coals to the side in my Performer and Kettle, etc. for years with no issues like Scotty's.  How will the baskets help prevent the porcelain falling off?  Not debating, just curious.  I love the baskets you have, much better than the new Weber baskets.  I threw mine away.
Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 06:14:59 AM »

Shaun, I've been either piling up or using a firebrick to hold my coals to the side in my Performer and Kettle, etc. for years with no issues like Scotty's.  How will the baskets help prevent the porcelain falling off?  Not debating, just curious.  I love the baskets you have, much better than the new Weber baskets.  I threw mine away.
It doesn't have any contact with the bowl, which I think causes spalling and loss of porcelain. This is also easier to use because the charcoal is confined. You just remove it and shake it out over an ash can. Then reuse the remaining and just top it off again. I think it also saves charcoal.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
i usually use the baskets.

i don't have any rails though

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:44:09 AM »
I think the best of all worlds would be the old baskets made from grate rod material.  I have the 'newer' style alluminum baskets, and they are 'ok'.  I use them 'sometimes'.

There sure was a lot of ' '  in that last 'paragraph'.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 08:01:46 AM »
The steel ones are too small. I have a set of sheetmetal ones from a MT that are deeper and bigger than the ones they sell today. They are sturdy. Mine are a better fit though. I will post a picture of them later.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 08:55:20 AM »
I know it's hard to see, but this is what I am referring to as 'older alluminum mastertouch style'.  They could be thin steel I suppose.  They are 3.5 inches tall.  I would prefer the rod style over this, but still use them occasionally.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
These are what originally came with the Master Touch. They are sturdy. They measure about 4 inches deep, and about 14 inches long. They site very nice in the bowl because they have that same curve.

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »

It doesn't have any contact with the bowl, which I think causes spalling and loss of porcelain. This is also easier to use because the charcoal is confined. You just remove it and shake it out over an ash can. Then reuse the remaining and just top it off again. I think it also saves charcoal.

Got it.  I thought the porcelain coming off was more due to a defect rather than from heat.  Now I want to go out and check mine on my Kettles, as I have lit the fire without baskets except for once since I've had them.  If my porcelain is coming off, I'm gonna kick Scotty's ass just for general purposes!
Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 12:32:59 PM »
These are what originally came with the Master Touch.   

I think we are displaying differnt eras of the charcoal bins that came with Master-Touchs.  Ad 'charcoal baskets' to the list of weber things that I want to do a pictoral history on.....

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 01:56:02 PM »
  If my porcelain is coming off, I'm gonna kick Scotty's ass just for general purposes!
GP is reason enough!  ;D

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 07:18:33 AM »
I agree, there are numerous sizes and designs on the baskets. The old rod style are too small.
The great thing about Shauns basket is that its easy to clean and use. Lump charcoal is staying in the basket. I don't know that it uses less charcoal, but I do like the intense heat in a smaller space that a basket can give.
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..