Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Your best smoke temp  (Read 6256 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Your best smoke temp
« on: March 03, 2016, 10:39:21 PM »
My pulled pork has turned out better when I've run at 275 compared to 225. I feel like I worry less when I let it naturally settle in (vs being anal on holding 225) and I think the finished product is better and more moist.

This is more geared towards pork shoulder (pulled or sliced) than ribs, brisket, etc. Chicken I'd always a little higher for non-rubbery skin.

What temps have turned out the best result for you with each kind if meat?

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
Re: Your best smoke temp
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 05:39:09 AM »
My best chicken is rotisserie around 400 degrees; baskets on the side for 45 mins, then slid underneath for the last 10-15 until to temp to crust up the skin.

Pork butt, ribs and briskets I'm good between 225-245; it's where my WSM settles nicely with the three bottom vents at 0-5-5%, and top wide open.

I never cook the later three in a hurry, so time isn't an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 07:35:03 AM »
My pulled pork has turned out better when I've run at 275 compared to 225. I feel like I worry less when I let it naturally settle in (vs being anal on holding 225) and I think the finished product is better and more moist.

This is more geared towards pork shoulder (pulled or sliced) than ribs, brisket, etc. Chicken I'd always a little higher for non-rubbery skin.

What temps have turned out the best result for you with each kind if meat?

I did a butt/shoulder last Saturday.  I used my Gen II Performer.  Temps varied from between 250-325 degrees at various times while cooking. The temps were probably in the upper 200's to low 300's most of the time.   It took about 7 -8 hours.  With pulled pork I rarely worry about the 225-250 thing.  All that does (IMO) is make it take more time.  Took the internal temp to 185, then foiled it with some Eastern NC sauce added until internal temp was 205 foiled.  Let it rest for an hour or so after that.  The pig pulled very easily and was nice and moist.  I took some to our hockey tailgate where it was pronounced "restaurant quality."

I've never had any luck with brisket no matter what temps.  Poultry should probably not be cooked (IMO) in the 225-250 range.  I think it does better at higher temps.  I rotisserie
most of our chicken and don't even worry that much about the kettle temp.  I just measure the bird and take it off at 160 or so and let it rest for a bit.  My wife brines most of our chicken so its alway nice and moist and tender.

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 12:11:35 PM »
If you guys have found the higher temps to be fine. Where do you think all the hype about keeping it under 250 came from? Just curious.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 12:23:24 PM »
If you guys have found the higher temps to be fine. Where do you think all the hype about keeping it under 250 came from? Just curious.

I am guessing it is from people who are smoking different types of meat at the same time.  While higher heat is fine for some things like shoulders and butts, I'm thinking it wouldn't be so great for things like brisket.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 06:27:22 PM »

Years ago the slaves were given undesirable tough cuts of meat. Poor people could only afford these cuts as nobody wanted them. They figured out that a low and slow temperature made these tough cuts of meat some of the most tender and tasty meats on the animal. Think of chicken wings, they used to throw them into the trash untill somebody in a bar in  New York threw them in a deep fryer, added some hot sauce and Buffalo Wings were born and the price went from trash to sometimes to much compared what you can buy a whole chicken for.

I think a lot has changed because of the steroids and antibiotics they pump in these animals,and the food they are feeding them to get them to grow faster and gain weight.

In the 80's my grandpa raised a pig, butchered it and salt cured the hams and shoulders in his tool shed. He would go to the shed daily I think, pour more salt on them and just leave them alone for many days untill they were done. I was young then so I can't remember all the details. It was some of the best pork I have ever ate. Fried up for breakfast or supper, I ate a bunch of it and it was very good.

Years later I asked him why he never did it again, and he said you can't. He didn't know why but he thought it was the food the pig ate. I still don't understand what he meant, but that was the only time he did it when I was around.

Im guessing he was onto the GMO foods way before it is common knowledge now.

Back to the meat prices,,have you noticed a cow tounge is $30? Nothing is cheap any more

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 07:55:52 AM »
It infuriates me to see wings, flank steak, etc at the $4.00, $5.00 and higher per pound pricing. A whole chicken is $.75/lb on sale, leg quarters $.75/lb on sale, thighs $.75lb on sale...and wings on sale? $3.99!

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 07:56:48 AM »

I am guessing it is from people who are smoking different types of meat at the same time.  While higher heat is fine for some things like shoulders and butts, I'm thinking it wouldn't be so great for things like brisket.

There's actually successful ways to do a high temp brisket...I personally enjoy it taking its time and enjoying the ride.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 09:52:42 AM »
Pork butts have a higher contents of fat and the cuts are not as lean as a beef brisket or a pork tenderloin per say. The rendering of fats keep your meat moist during a cook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 12:07:59 PM »
I used to be 250ish for pork butts, because that's where my WSM liked to settle in at.
I've done some experimenting with 225 and found I like the bark better and I tend to get better fat rendering too. It takes a lot longer, but I like the texture more. My wife has even asked that we do it "that way" from now on.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 10:15:43 PM »
Hummmmm,   Low & Slow.     Smoke more cigars, drink more malt.                               SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 03:51:59 AM »

Hummmmm,   Low & Slow.     Smoke more cigars, drink more malt.                               SJ

My sentiments, exactly...at least on the drinking part.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 04:47:10 AM »
275* is the new Low n Slow
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Your best smoke temp
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 04:59:56 AM »
235-265 is my preferred range for pork butts, but l'll cook faster if I'm gonna wrap. I cook briskets a little faster, around 275, and the only reason I don't cook em north of 300 is I don't want to scald the butcher paper. For ribs I cook around 250, but that's because it's the temp my smoker likes. Faster is fine, though, especially if foiling. It also depends on the cooker as much or more than the cut. For instance, it's not efficient to try to cook in a wsm at 275 with water in the pan. Boiling the water washes the smoke and leaves a funny smoke flavor if you ask me.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:01:36 AM by kettlecook »

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 06:23:24 AM »
As an experiment, I did a rack of spareribs last weekend.  I usually try to keep temps at 225.  This weekend I thought I'd try hotter and see what happened.   I prepped the Kettle with a 3x2 snake.  Brought it up to 280.(I got impatient waiting for 300).  Put the ribs on.  Heat stayed about 290 the whole time.   I did a bend test at the 3 hr mark.  They were overdone.   I made notes and will try again hot but will check at 2hrs.
The taste was phenomenal, the bark was damn near perfect, but the meat itself was mushy.  like a pulled pork.  I like a little more chew too my ribs.  The edges were burnt.  Not in a good way.  Like jerky almost.
So, in short, I will do ribs hotter again but will check much sooner.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie