Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Redhead cook for Idahawk (and first daisy wheel cook)  (Read 1802 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Redhead cook for Idahawk (and first daisy wheel cook)
« on: March 02, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »
I think @Idahawk has some kettle envy over my 18" redhead Happy Cooker  ;D It was my girlfriend's great uncle's and is a really neat little kettle. It's in great shape complete with the internal ash pan.

A few observations about the HC. It only has 3 grate straps - not a fan of that. The cooking grate however is bad ass. It is THICK - almost as thick as a GBS grate - and I'm pretty sure it is stainless and not plated. I didn't measure but it seemed like there might be an extra quarter to half inch of distance between the charcoal grate and cooking grate. It seemed like I could get a lot of charcoal in there without pushing up the grate - something I regularly do on my 18" OTG with a hinge directly over the coals.

It's also the first time I have cooked on a three wheeler. This was a high heat cook so the bottom and top vents were wide the whole time. Next time I'll mess around with a lower heat cook and test out the ability to dial in low temps on the three wheeler.

I used a charcoal rail to separate half the grate. It worked fine but didn't fit snug like it does on the Weber grate. I dumped a full mini chimney of unlit and set a full mini chimney of lit on top. I went with Royal Oak lump - the lump always makes less ash and even though I have the internal ash pan it seems like the best way to go with a three wheeler.

First I got two small sweet potatoes going - they take about an hour. No foil, just straight on the grate. We even eat the skin when they are cooked naked on the grill.

I got a beautiful piece of swordfish - 1.3 pounds

I hit the fish with some salt and sugar and let it sit for about 15 minutes, then added a blackening seasoning I made. I used this recipe as a guide but just eyeballed the spices into a small container.

When the sweet potatoes were almost done I threw some asparagus drizzled with lemon olive oil direct over the coals for a little char, then moved them indirect to finish.

Swordfish on

The flip

The cutting board

The plate - I like a little maple syrup drizzled over my sweet potato (I like butter too but I skipped it tonight as I'm trying to lose a little more weight)

The swordfish was fantastic. Just enough sweetness - the sugar also helps it blacken - with great flavor and a little spice.

Fun first cook on the redhead Happy Cooker! Thanks for looking!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Redhead cook for Idahawk (and first daisy wheel cook)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 10:37:37 PM »
Good stuff! I was expecting a different redhead daisy wheel cook though. :) Your potato looks extra interesting. ;)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 08:12:44 AM »
Ha ha ha , yes indeed there is kettle envy over that sweet little red head ! The cook and the swordfish look great , really nicely done.

Very rare kettle , very cool to see it getting put to use !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 01:00:49 PM »
Nice looking cook. I didn't really get perspective on the size of that swordfish until I saw the picture of it on the grill. That thing is big.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 12:30:51 PM »
Good looking cook @austin87 !  How big was that slab-o-sword?  Looks big even when considering its on 18' grill.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 01:37:14 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed it was fantastic. The piece was 1.3lbs and about an inch thick. Different from, but equally as good as, a cook I did a while ago http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/grilled-swordfish-and-avocado-with-mango-salsa/

Swordfish is hands down one of the best fish to grill. You can go a ton different directions with it. It has enough flavor and texture to hold up to any variety of spices that would overpower most fish.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 04:18:13 PM »
That's a cool little grill for sure, plate looks great too!