Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Can this lid be cleaned?  (Read 4596 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Can this lid be cleaned?
« on: March 02, 2016, 06:23:35 AM »
I am looking at picking up this grill but not sure if the black stuff on the lid can be cleaned?  Any thoughts/recommendations?

Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Can this lid be cleaned?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 06:44:47 AM »
It should clean up ok. Use steel wool and dish soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 06:45:09 AM »
Thanks.

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 06:59:14 AM »
You could also try Bar keepers friend and stainless scour pad

mx.kessler

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:27:43 AM »
I recommend to use oven cleaner foam...let is soak for about 12 hours and it will wipe of easy. Thats how I cleaned all my weber gassers.
But what in the hell did the seller do to this grill, never saw a summit looking that bad...

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 07:30:13 AM »
No clue what the seller did to the grill. I am supposed to check it out later. 

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 07:34:03 AM »
My brothers summit looks the same. He uses his like 4-5 times a week in the warmer months. Good suggestion on the oven cleaner too. That will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 09:34:05 AM »
Sad to say, but I think that discoloration is due to heat.  If that's the case, no amount of scrubbing is going to change it.   BUT,  I could very easily be wrong about it. 

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 11:20:59 AM »
Sad to say, but I think that discoloration is due to heat.  If that's the case, no amount of scrubbing is going to change it.   BUT,  I could very easily be wrong about it.

This is what I am worried about. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:26:25 AM by tb80 »

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 11:22:29 AM »
If the discoloration is due to heat, would it be covered by warranty?

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 11:31:41 AM »

This is what I am worried about.  However, I think I can get this for $200 or less.  Is it still worth going after?

If the discoloration is due to heat, would it be covered by warranty?

I don't know if they would cover it under warranty or not.  Perhaps you could get lucky and find that the inside of the lid was corroded which would be covered under warranty.  But, word of warning, warranty only applies to original owner.   It's a crap shoot as to whether you could get anything covered under warranty. 

As to whether it's worth $200, that really depends.   Let's presume that the lid can't be cleaned up and that you can't get it replaced under warranty.   Is the condition of the lid a deal breaker for you ?  Or would you be ok with it ?>

If you would be okay with it, then you have to look at the internals of the grill very carefully.  Pay particular attention to the cart and the inside front of the grill box   Something to note is that parts for a Summit usually cost much more than parts for an older Genny.    On one Summit I fixed up, the flavorizer bars alone were $180.   

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 11:33:45 AM »

[/quote]
I don't know if they would cover it under warranty or not.  Perhaps you could get lucky and find that the inside of the lid was corroded which would be covered under warranty.  But, word of warning, warranty only applies to original owner.   It's a crap shoot as to whether you could get anything covered under warranty. 

As to whether it's worth $200, that really depends.   Let's presume that the lid can't be cleaned up and that you can't get it replaced under warranty.   Is the condition of the lid a deal breaker for you ?  Or would you be ok with it ?>

If you would be okay with it, then you have to look at the internals of the grill very carefully.  Pay particular attention to the cart and the inside front of the grill box   Something to note is that parts for a Summit usually cost much more than parts for an older Genny.    On one Summit I fixed up, the flavorizer bars alone were $180.   
[/quote]

Great information to have. Thanks. 

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 11:37:52 AM »

You're welcome.   Something that went unsaid is that IF the lid is discolored permanently (and you are ok with that), BUT IF all the rest of the grill is fine and just needs a good cleaning, I'd grab it for $200 in a heartbeat.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 12:04:09 PM »

You're welcome.   Something that went unsaid is that IF the lid is discolored permanently (and you are ok with that), BUT IF all the rest of the grill is fine and just needs a good cleaning, I'd grab it for $200 in a heartbeat.

Yeah. I think that if it is in good condition other than the lid I will go ahead and grab it.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 04:37:00 PM »

Yeah. I think that if it is in good condition other than the lid I will go ahead and grab it.

Point to the lid and offer $100   ;D