Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: does a wooden pizza peel need to be oiled or anything?  (Read 11768 times)

Troy

• Statesman
does a wooden pizza peel need to be oiled or anything?
« on: February 28, 2016, 09:52:51 PM »
I read some things that said water was the devil when it comes to wooden pizza peels, and they should be treated with mineral oil

but then i read other things where people didn't do ANYTHING to their peel and they've never had problems.

I'm leaning towards treating with mineral oil, but i'm not sure what to get or where to get it.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: does a wooden pizza peel need to be oiled or anything?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 12:28:39 AM »
Not sure about pizza peels but I just use regular plain old mineral oil that you get at the drugstore on my wooden cutting boards. It's usually in the section with Tums and ExLax. Fun fact, if you are constipated a couple tablespoons of mineral oil will lube the guts right up.

Another thought - a very dry pizza peel might be easier to slide pies off of. As long as it doesn't get wet (wipe it down with a rag rather than wash it) it's probably fine to nothing to it.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:01:49 AM »
ok. in an effort for this to NOT be a $26 experiment, i'm going to hit up the drug store for some mineral oil.

I will NOT be consuming any though! :P

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:19:06 AM »
I've had my wooden (bamboo) pizza peel for probably 10 years and haven't done a thing to it besides a quick wash followed by an immediate dry with paper towels.  It looks/works as well as it ever did.  I do sprinkle corn meal on it when making the pizza to keep the dough from sticking, but no special treatments of anything.  That being said, mineral oil won't hurt anything.  If your peel is bare wood, it would probably help the durability.  With mine being bamboo, its pretty resilient on its own.
-Keith

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 04:09:25 AM »
I've never done anything to my wooden peel other than wash it and towel dry. Still in great condition.

BTW, it's AWSOME you added a Pizza section.  8)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:13:02 AM by Nate »

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 04:27:05 AM »
Oil only increases it's ability to become flammable. Keep it natural is best IMHO

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 06:21:59 AM »
I haven't done anything to my wooden peel, just all natural.  I went to a new pizza place last week that had stacks of peels and none of them were treated with anything.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 07:10:06 AM »
My wooden peel is untreated.. has a check in it by still works well.  I wash it after use, and prop it up so it gets a quick and thorough air dry.  I'd also worry that oil would make your peel a little tacky, but in any case you'll need to use cornmeal to get your pies to slide.

Full disclosure, though:  I always had trouble getting my pies back *off* the fire, until I got a metal peel (for cheap at a restaurant supply store).  It's thinner and works better for getting underneath the edge and sliding them up onto the peel.  Now I used my wood peel to build the pizzas and deposit them in the oven/grill, and then remove them with the metal peel.  It helps the general work flow as well-- it's a major drag to have a perfect pizza burning while another perfect pizza is sitting on your only peel. 
One of the charcoal people.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:54:44 AM »
This is what I use for removing pizzas.......and pork butts, and brisket, and meatloaf, and......

Picked it up on clearance a few years ago at either Lowes or Depot.  Its freakin awesome
The big kahuna
-Keith

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 08:49:39 AM »
My wooden peel is untreated.. has a check in it by still works well.  I wash it after use, and prop it up so it gets a quick and thorough air dry.  I'd also worry that oil would make your peel a little tacky, but in any case you'll need to use cornmeal to get your pies to slide.

Full disclosure, though:  I always had trouble getting my pies back *off* the fire, until I got a metal peel (for cheap at a restaurant supply store).  It's thinner and works better for getting underneath the edge and sliding them up onto the peel.  Now I used my wood peel to build the pizzas and deposit them in the oven/grill, and then remove them with the metal peel.  It helps the general work flow as well-- it's a major drag to have a perfect pizza burning while another perfect pizza is sitting on your only peel.

Two peels is definitely the way to go. One wood, one metal.   

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »
Oiled or not the peel will still work. :P Oil will keep the wood from drying out and cracking if you leave it in the sun and elements.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 10:10:24 AM »
decided to oil it.

ordered this: http://amzn.to/1VTgpBK

I guess if i ever get a butcher block or a wooden cutting board I can use it for that too

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 10:12:56 AM »

decided to oil it.

I guess if i ever get a butcher block or a wooden cutting board I can use it for that too

That's what I use on all my side tables , cutting boards and all that . Good stuff !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 10:14:07 AM »
decided to oil it.

I use that on my butcherblock cutting board.  It works great.  I like to put the bottle in a cup of hot water for about 5 minutes prior to using it...seems to work a lot better that way.   The Boos block stuff works good too. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jon

• WKC Ranger