Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone use the KettlePizza with a Performer?  (Read 10475 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Anyone use the KettlePizza with a Performer?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 06:17:02 PM »
Really? Aluminum foil has a meting point of over 1200 degrees. I can't see getting up that high.
Try using something other than kingsford

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 06:42:33 AM »

The amount of heat released during combustion is measured in units of energy per unit of the substance.

Measured in approximate Calorific value the answer to this question is charcoal.

FUEL = kJ/g
Dry Wood = 19
Coal (mineral of fossilized carbon) =  28-33
Coke (made from coal is smokeless) = 28-30
Charcoal (made from wood) = 29-30
Fuel Oil = 42-44
Kerosene = 46

So apart from the fact that Charcoal burns hotter than burning wood it is also a better fuel to use in the BBQ because it is mostly smokeless and a lot cleaner than burning wood.

Do note that it is a common misconception that all wood based charcoal burns with the same heat intensity and duration. Yes there are many different types of fuel clasified under the general heading of charcoal, but they have different characteristics.

Differences in Charcoal
Lump Charcoal is basically natural material looking like branch or root material. Can be brittle and irregular in shape and different hardwoods provide variations in heat and longevity as a fuel source.
Pillow shaped briquettes is compressed and binded (usually with starch) together. Some may contain brown mineral coal, borax, sodium nitrate, limestone or other additives.
Compressed logs, sticks or briquettes are made by extruding sawdust (usually wood but can also be other like coconut shell) under pressure without binders or additives. The sawdust can be either raw or carbonized prior to being compressed.
Japanese Charoal is charred wood which has gone through a process of rapid tempurature rise followed by rapid cooling leaving a smooth hard surface. This type is considered high grade charcoal and yields long burn times. There are 3 types - White charcoal (Binchotan), Black charcoal and Ogatan (made from sawdust).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 07:06:14 AM »
The amount of heat released during combustion is measured in units of energy per unit of the substance.

Measured in approximate Calorific value the answer to this question is charcoal.

FUEL = kJ/g
Dry Wood = 19
Fuel Oil = 42-44
Kerosene = 46

So apart from the fact that Charcoal burns hotter than burning wood it is also a better fuel to use in the BBQ because it is mostly smokeless and a lot cleaner than burning wood.

Do note that it is a common misconception that all wood based charcoal burns with the same heat intensity and duration. Yes there are many different types of fuel clasified under the general heading of charcoal, but they have different characteristics.

Differences in Charcoal
Lump Charcoal is basically natural material looking like branch or root material. Can be brittle and irregular in shape and different hardwoods provide variations in heat and longevity as a fuel source.
Pillow shaped briquettes is compressed and binded (usually with starch) together. Some may contain brown mineral coal, borax, sodium nitrate, limestone or other additives.
Compressed logs, sticks or briquettes are made by extruding sawdust (usually wood but can also be other like coconut shell) under pressure without binders or additives. The sawdust can be either raw or carbonized prior to being compressed.
Japanese Charoal is charred wood which has gone through a process of rapid tempurature rise followed by rapid cooling leaving a smooth hard surface. This type is considered high grade charcoal and yields long burn times. There are 3 types - White charcoal (Binchotan), Black charcoal and Ogatan (made from sawdust).

@Idahawk   This is some great information, thank you.  It would be awesome to see this expanded into a write-up for the WKC Resources section on the front page.
Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 07:28:43 AM »

Wood lid bale rollers.  No issues.  I do like that socket fix posted by @Idahawk .

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 09:57:56 AM »

Wood lid bale rollers.  No issues.  I do like that socket fix posted by @Idahawk .

Seemed pretty logical to me , I don't think the lid rolling on the nickel or chrome plated sockets would hurt the lid do you ?  Not to mention if your cooking pizzas at 800 degrees regularly the lid should be the least of your worries [emoji6]

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 10:54:23 AM »

FUEL = kJ/g
Dry Wood = 19
Fuel Oil = 42-44
Kerosene = 46

Differences in Charcoal

So are you trying to say, as it applies to the relevant application and your original question, that we don't need a wood burning fire in the KettlePizza to get the high ceiling temps?

And I don't need to burn wood in my offset smoker to get it up to temp?

And folks can just dump lit charcoal in a fire ring and warm themselves just as well as if it was a campfire?

Just checking. Nice charcoal comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 06:19:20 AM »

I don't recommend building camp fires in weber kettles .

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 08:17:05 AM »

Why not? It's all that hellaciously hot charcoal you have to worry about. [emoji1]

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 09:02:43 AM »

Why not? It's all that hellaciously hot charcoal you have to worry about. [emoji1]

No it's flames from anything wood grease whatever that you have to worry about , charcoal is a controlled heat , flames are a wildcard . Telling novice cooks to add more wood to a super hot open air environment like a kettle pizza set up is asking it for it , IMO and if you don't mind keep your snarky comments about my opinions to yourself , thanks

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 11:14:37 AM »

No it's flames from anything wood grease whatever that you have to worry about , charcoal is a controlled heat , flames are a wildcard . Telling novice cooks to add more wood to a super hot open air environment like a kettle pizza set up is asking it for it , IMO and if you don't mind keep your snarky comments about my opinions to yourself , thanks

Whoa bud. No reason to get that way. I was only jokingly pointing out that maybe your data and earlier assertion about charcoal burning so much hotter than wood doesn't translate to the application.

I've got too much to do but will only point out the obvious, that the Kettle Pizza is designed to turn your kettle into a WOOD fired oven. No more to add, so don't even bother. Have a goodun'.

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 10:58:07 PM »
My wife just got me a Kettle Pizza for my upcoming 40th birthday(she's  a goodun).  Looking forward to seeing what it is all about.  Hopefully the instructions are good because reviews here are getting a little personal...sheesh. 

Come on guys.  We're better than all the "grillin'/low'n'slow" sites out there where this kind of pointless dick swinging happens on an hourly basis right??  Why isn't everyone happy?  Didn't just today Weber tell us that they are going to change our backyards...in a month.  Damned marketing people!

Anyway, when I get this sucker on Monday I'm going to run her with a chimney of KBB and a few hunks of hickory to see how it goes.

Wish me luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 12:13:07 AM »
Good luck Russell.   Enjoy that pizza  ...  I like vegetarian with sausage :)   ;D                                SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

macmanjpc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2016, 03:52:39 PM »
All this talk about Kettlepizza really got me in the mood today!

Weber 22" Performer Touch-N-Go, Master-Touch 22" Ivory Special Edition, Smokey Mountain Cooker 22", Genesis EP-320 Blue, Jumbo Joe, Gas-Go-Anywhere... oh... and a Traeger Texas Elite Pellet-pooper.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2016, 04:40:08 PM »
Looks damn good from here!

If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »
I just got my kettlepizza and have received a ton of great advice on here from all you guys.  Unfortunately its been raining a lot here and I have not gotten a chance to try mine out.  @Idahawk Are you saying we should not use wood?  Now I'm confused.  I thought we were supposed to use wood in order to get the temps up high enough.  Are you achieving high enough temps with just charcoal?