Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone use the KettlePizza with a Performer?  (Read 10474 times)

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
Anyone use the KettlePizza with a Performer?
« on: February 28, 2016, 04:36:48 PM »
Ordered a kettlepizza off the Groupon deal and am very excited to try it out.  I was on their website and the instructions say on the performer to remove the plastic rollers on the lid bale.  Does anyone have experience with the kettlepizza on a performer?  I know it gets hot and am not interested in melting anything. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:24:37 PM by Josh G »

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
Re: Anyone use the KettlePizza with a Performer?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:05:17 PM »
I've only made 5 pizza cooks, but my rollers are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 05:06:15 PM »
Only way I'd put the plastic rollers back on is if I always had the fire opposite them, on the table side. In my haste to use my KettlePizza I forgot to remove them and yes, one side melted a little and stuck to the side of my Performer kettle.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 05:08:34 PM »
I've never tried with mine, but maybe I will. Melting the rollers would give a good excuse for ordering cool Zavod44 rollers.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 09:38:46 AM »
My rollers melted a long time ago so I just left them on.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 06:40:29 PM »
I've never tried with mine, but maybe I will. Melting the rollers would give a good excuse for ordering cool Zavod44 rollers.

You need an excuse?
Still need a 22” yellow

macmanjpc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 05:53:02 PM »
Yup. Good news...
image.jpg" border="0

image352e1.jpg" border="0

Bad news...
image198b5.jpg" border="0
Weber 22" Performer Touch-N-Go, Master-Touch 22" Ivory Special Edition, Smokey Mountain Cooker 22", Genesis EP-320 Blue, Jumbo Joe, Gas-Go-Anywhere... oh... and a Traeger Texas Elite Pellet-pooper.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 06:22:10 PM »
@macmanjpc

Those rollers are toast!

How long have you had your Kettle Pizza?

macmanjpc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 06:33:42 PM »
@macmanjpc

Those rollers are toast!

Lol. I know. Weber sent me a few things under warranty recently including a new lid slider kit incl. rollers due to the melting, a new 22" Mastertouch lid/handle/thermometer combo to replace the performers original lid that was starting to rust at the handle weld. They also sent me a new one touch cleaning kit and charcoal grate. Great company and awesome support! Why I keep buying more webers.

Had the kettle pizza a couple years. In truth, only used it a few times. A pizza night is quite a bit of work so you need to be doing multiple pies to make it worth the effort. Gotta make sure to preheat for some time to get everything got enough. I picked up a big green egg pizza stone and that's been great. The couple thinner ones if tried cracked where the bge has been unstoppable.

Check out the heat in there! Get it hot with a mix of lump and bricks then add a small log of hardwood to get the heat. Next time I do pizzas I'm gonna try wrapping a second grill in tinfoil and putting in the top section of the kettle pizza. I've read this really helps in deflecting heat back down on to the cheese top and speeds up the process.
Weber 22" Performer Touch-N-Go, Master-Touch 22" Ivory Special Edition, Smokey Mountain Cooker 22", Genesis EP-320 Blue, Jumbo Joe, Gas-Go-Anywhere... oh... and a Traeger Texas Elite Pellet-pooper.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 04:34:10 AM »

@macmanjpc

Those rollers are toast!

Lol. I know. Weber sent me a few things under warranty recently including a new lid slider kit incl. rollers due to the melting, a new 22" Mastertouch lid/handle/thermometer combo to replace the performers original lid that was starting to rust at the handle weld. They also sent me a new one touch cleaning kit and charcoal grate. Great company and awesome support! Why I keep buying more webers.

Had the kettle pizza a couple years. In truth, only used it a few times. A pizza night is quite a bit of work so you need to be doing multiple pies to make it worth the effort. Gotta make sure to preheat for some time to get everything got enough. I picked up a big green egg pizza stone and that's been great. The couple thinner ones if tried cracked where the bge has been unstoppable.

Check out the heat in there! Get it hot with a mix of lump and bricks then add a small log of hardwood to get the heat. Next time I do pizzas I'm gonna try wrapping a second grill in tinfoil and putting in the top section of the kettle pizza. I've read this really helps in deflecting heat back down on to the cheese top and speeds up the process.

Larger pieces and/or more pieces of wood will get your ceiling temps higher.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 01:23:37 PM »
 Are you guys sure that wood burns hotter than charcoal ?

BTW here's a $2.00 cure for the  lid roller melting issue.

Cheap sockets , I used 2, 1/2 drive size 13 sockets on mine.

Bargain bin at the parts store :)

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Anyone use the KettlePizza with a Performer?
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 02:58:18 PM »
Are you guys sure that wood burns hotter than charcoal ?

BTW here's a $2.00 cure for the  lid roller melting issue.

Cheap sockets , I used 2, 1/2 drive size 13 sockets on mine.

Bargain bin at the parts store :)

Uhhh....Ye-ah! Even the coals from hardwood will burn hotter than charcoal. And when it's flaming like you want for the high ceiling temps, well, I hope you get the picture. The purpose of the plastic rollers is so there's no metal to porcelain contact to damage the edge of the lid.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:54:00 PM by kettlecook »

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »
I haven't melted my rollers yet.  Maybe my grill isnt' getting hot enough.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 05:36:15 PM »

...Next time I do pizzas I'm gonna try wrapping a second grill in tinfoil and putting in the top section of the kettle pizza. I've read this really helps in deflecting heat back down on to the cheese top and speeds up the process.

It does work, but at the high temps you are trying to get, the foil melts onto your pizza.

macmanjpc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 05:49:52 PM »
Really? Aluminum foil has a meting point of over 1200 degrees. I can't see getting up that high.