Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Texas Wild Boar  (Read 1474 times)

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
Texas Wild Boar
« on: February 27, 2016, 09:17:14 AM »
Just put em on not too long ago, so this is all the pics I have for now.  More to come...

From the processor...

Using some Honey Hog Hot rub from Meat Church

On the 22 WSM...

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Re: Texas Wild Boar
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:37:08 AM »
Looks good. Interested to hear how it turns out. I have heard mixed reviews about wild boar meat. How big of a pig was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 06:11:34 PM »
Wild boar meat?

Bear approves this thread...

Dude, relax your chicken.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 06:21:06 PM »
Dang, those look right at home on your WSM! What do you call that particular cut? How'd they turn out?

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 07:23:28 PM »
How did it turn out @maxbobcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 08:14:35 PM »
D'oh!  These were the only photos I got of the meat all cooked up.  Had a few people over for the cookout and got distracted.  I threw on some babybacks a little later into the cook as well, as you can see.

The boar meat was really quite tasty.  It was very lean and had a mouth feel kind of like turkey or one of the leaner muscles you would find in a typical pork shoulder.  Flavor was great honestly, no gaminess or anything like that.  This was an 80lb pig. 

I knew it was a lean piece of meat, so I injected it with a little bit of apple juice and also spritzed it with apple juice throughout the cook.  Shredded most of the meat and when sauced and on a bun, you couldnt really tell any difference from a pork shoulder you got at the grocery store.  Over all, it was a success!  Everybody liked it.

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 08:18:47 PM »
Dang, those look right at home on your WSM! What do you call that particular cut? How'd they turn out?

this was 1 front leg and 1 hindquarter.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 07:34:59 AM »
Awesome! I really like boar. There is supposed to be some good hunting a few hours from here. You have me inspired!