Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hi-Gluten Flour Pizza Dough?  (Read 3539 times)

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Hi-Gluten Flour Pizza Dough?
« on: February 22, 2016, 08:31:35 AM »
Thankfully my wife has made bread before. I, however, don't know a thing about dough. Anyhow, I'm tired of using store bought dough and picked up a BIG bag of ALL TRUMPS hi-gluten flour. Now I need a recipe and I'm sort of overwhelmed when I do searches of the sort. Maybe I should've used a different flour for New York style pizzas in the 600-700* cooking range, but I'm just a newby and noticed that the all trumps is popular with the pizza pros. Anyone got a recipe or a link to one that'll work? I'd really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Hi-Gluten Flour Pizza Dough?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 08:41:00 AM »
I use Bobby Flays recipe, but use Arthurs Bread Flour per recommendations from others here as well as friends that do a lot of home made pizzas.  The recipe just calls for all purpose flour.  I'm not really sure if the different type of flour really matters or not, but I've been happy with my dough using the Arthurs.  Not really sure about using Hi-Gluten flour, but its worth a shot.  The main thing I have found for making thinner pizzas is dividing whatever dough receipe or even store bough dough you are using by two.  Bobby's recipe should give you 4, 12-14" pizzas.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 12:47:38 PM »
Thanks a bunch, man. Much appreciated!

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 08:00:19 PM »
Bread flour or high gluten flour is worth it in the dough. It will strech better and make a crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside crust.  I use bread flour in place of AP in the Bobby Flay recipe above and it works great.

I follow the directions almost exactly. The only thing I do differently is mix the yeast into the water and let the yeast activate fir a couple minutes. When I don't do this I tend to get some lumps in the dough, like the yeast doesn't distribute as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Hi-Gluten Flour Pizza Dough?
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 03:29:04 AM »
Bread flour or high gluten flour is worth it in the dough. It will strech better and make a crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside crust.  I use bread flour in place of AP in the Bobby Flay recipe above and it works great.

I follow the directions almost exactly. The only thing I do differently is mix the yeast into the water and let the yeast activate fir a couple minutes. When I don't do this I tend to get some lumps in the dough, like the yeast doesn't distribute as well.

I've got a 25 lb bag of this flour so we can try again and again if at first we don't succeed. Thanks!

Robert

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 04:10:35 AM »
I use Bobby Flays recipe, but use Arthurs Bread Flour per recommendations from others here as well as friends that do a lot of home made pizzas.  The recipe just calls for all purpose flour.  I'm not really sure if the different type of flour really matters or not, but I've been happy with my dough using the Arthurs.  Not really sure about using Hi-Gluten flour, but its worth a shot.  The main thing I have found for making thinner pizzas is dividing whatever dough receipe or even store bough dough you are using by two.  Bobby's recipe should give you 4, 12-14" pizzas.

My family and I like a thin crispy cracker crust pizza.  So, are you just stretching the dough thinner when you cut the recipe or the store bought dough?  Have not attempted to make a dough so truly a newbie is this area.  Any help would be  appreciated. 

Thanks,

Robert

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 05:44:07 AM »

I do the same thing....yeast in water around 110*, stir it up, and let it sit for 5 mintues or so then start making my dough.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 05:45:36 AM »

My family and I like a thin crispy cracker crust pizza.  So, are you just stretching the dough thinner when you cut the recipe or the store bought dough?  Have not attempted to make a dough so truly a newbie is this area.  Any help would be  appreciated. 

Thanks,

Robert

You have it exactly right.  Instead of 2 13-14" pizzas that have kind of thick crust, I get 4 the same size with thinner crust.

Swamp Yankee

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 07:05:11 AM »
I've done a lot of experimenting with pizza doughs and settled on a 50/50 blend of bread flour and AP flour. Though the bread flour has more gluten I found it makes it a bit tougher to hand stretch the crust, lay it out on the peel, and have it hold shape as I'm putting the ingredients on top.  And after the addition fuss, the resulting pizza wasn't any better.

The recipe I developed is broken down here for one 12" pie:
5.3 ounces water
4 ounces AP flour
4 ounces Bread flour
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast

No oil added -  I cook them really quickly and the crust doesn't have time to dry out or toughen up.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:24:05 AM by Swamp Yankee »

Frostbrewed

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 07:37:56 AM »
I found it makes it a bit tougher to hand stretch the crust, lay it out on the peel, and have it hold shape

When Pizza dough does not hold its shape it is because it was not kneaded enough during the making process. High gluten flour has to be kneaded for about 10 minutes and given enough resting time, or if you cold rise them maybe it is still too cold. If you try to knead it more, or adjust some of the other things it should be pliable.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 09:02:46 AM »
I found it makes it a bit tougher to hand stretch the crust, lay it out on the peel, and have it hold shape

When Pizza dough does not hold its shape it is because it was not kneaded enough during the making process. High gluten flour has to be kneaded for about 10 minutes and given enough resting time, or if you cold rise them maybe it is still too cold. If you try to knead it more, or adjust some of the other things it should be pliable.

That makes sense.  I don't have a mixer so I've been doing all of my dough by hand.  I'm 100% sure I'm not kneading it enough.  Time to start searching for a good deal on a Kitchen Aid!