Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: "30 chicken legs?" he asked.  (Read 2477 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
"30 chicken legs?" he asked.
« on: February 18, 2016, 02:42:09 PM »
Visiting my dad in "the Big O" (O'Fallon, MO.) We were at Costco and that's what they had. Inexpensive, and I suggested we cook them all and he can freeze what we don't eat or give them away to his daughter. My sister would appreciate it. "Can you fit all of them on the grill?"

DAD, don't you remember what I stored in your garage?"

"I think we've got it COVERED."

Fancy charcoal lighter on the left, cooker on the right.  8)

more later ....
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: "30 chicken legs?" he asked.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 02:56:05 PM »

Look at the thermometer, That's about 200 degrees if I'm lucky, and with a full chimney of (mostly used) charcoal. Damn. I've just now started a full chimney of new charcoal. Since the existing is all inside the centered charcoal holders I'll have to pour them under the chicken or something. Oh well, it WAS a nice plan at the outset!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 03:32:46 PM »
Still only about 200 at the grate, with a full second chimney of charcoal. VERY windy, maybe that's a factor. I don't understand. Turned the legs for the first time and they've been on for an hour. Wow.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 04:16:54 PM »
Had the same issue a couple days ago, with the wind. Flipped a picnic table on its side, next to the grill. Did the trick for me.
Still need a 22” yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 07:15:21 PM »
So yeah we had to wait a while longer but it's chicken .... turned out well. Patience was a virtue. Look at the thermometer, still reading low after 2nd full chimney, and after I dumped both smoke wood chip buckets right on top of the coals and got goo flame there.

In case you're just tuning in, those are NOT wings:

Recipe/marinade is as was in this thread: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/(girl-griller-series)-bbq-chicken-thighs/msg205112/#msg205112 and it continues to be a success. In fact, so far it's my favorite. This time, at the "11th hour" I brushed on some hickory BBQ sauce that was mixed with a fair amount of the Red Rooster (on ONE side of the chicken ...) I got a few thumbs-down tonight from some who murmured it was too hot.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 07:18:51 PM »
Looks Awesome. Yeah it was a bit breezy today.
What are you drinking there?

Beans and rice!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:20:41 PM by blksabbath »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 07:46:38 PM »
What are you drinking there?

Short answer: Beer.
Longer answer: We had various Goose Island (IPA, Autumn Ale, Autumn Experimental, Ten Hills), Oskar Blues [IPA], Deschutes something, Burnt Hickory Cannon Dragger, Urban Chestnut Fantasyland IPA. Didn't make it to Ferguson this time unfortunately, so my 64oz. growler remains empty for several more months. I should have brought a few up from GA again this visit but didn't have time.

I'm enthralled with Goose Island Experimental. Had that first when I picked up this 12-pk late summer sampler and the leftovers are still at my dad's. My obsession with IPAs of all kinds is drawing to a close overall but the Fantasyland and Cannon Dragger brewed near where I live never bore. I'm about hopped out though, ya know?

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »
Food looks great! Not a fan of IPAs. Tastes like skunk spray smells. Give me malt, barely, wheat, oats, caramel...
Still need a 22” yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 06:56:25 AM »
Gotta love Performers...even when they aren't cooked on they still get to participate! 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 11:42:10 AM »
Lasagna on the menu tonight over at my sister's and my dad's putting it together over at his place. Normally I'd suggest (of course) we bake it outside but after last night's temperature near-fiasco I'm staying mum so it'll be done in the kitchen. I'd never hear the end of it if something went wrong.

Big gusts of wind today still and I don't know quite how or why that killed my heat so much last night. Cleaning out the 26 just now, the wind fucking knocked it over. No thanks.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 12:41:06 PM »
Adapt and overcome. Love the look of the Black Beast.

Maybe next time pile your coals to one side and have the vent over the food on the other. With foil underneath the food you may see higher temps from the same amount of coals I am thinking. You'd be able to add live coals easier too.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 06:40:52 PM »
Nice perserverence and gorgeous grills. Live the black beast there.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 06:46:47 PM »
Adapt and overcome. Love the look of the Black Beast.

Maybe next time pile your coals to one side and have the vent over the food on the other. With foil underneath the food you may see higher temps from the same amount of coals I am thinking. You'd be able to add live coals easier too.

Exactly right. The simple two zone indirect setup is the most efficient. Heat rises, and you're not trying to cook the handle. Coals to one side and the heat radiates around the kettle, cooking legs along the side of the bowl just as fast as the ones nearest the charcoal. And no shields or fire bricks needed. They just inhibit the kettle from doing it's thing. This was my big kettle tonight, and my Performer had the same 50/50 setup. If I'm cooking so many pieces that I need more grate then I'll take apart my baskets and use the straight sides as an adjustable charcoal fence, like in the second photo. Dump a chimney of lit K and just keep the lid on. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 05:43:50 AM »
I didn't realize there would be a difference but I can see now how most heat probably just went up out of the vent. What I was trying to do was cook them all at the same rate without having to reposition them further/closer away. Maybe I looked at too many vortex threads here. :)

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 07:27:51 AM »

I didn't realize there would be a difference but I can see now how most heat probably just went up out of the vent. What I was trying to do was cook them all at the same rate without having to reposition them further/closer away. Maybe I looked at too many vortex threads here. :)

Ahh, you're starting to get me and Mr Hoss's drift. But test everything you think you know about how a kettle cooks. And here's an easy way to do it. Buy a cheap ten pound bag of leg quarters and marinate or season as you wish. Take your baskets apart to make the adjustable charcoal fence. Lay down some 18" foil to catch the drippings, pushing tight to the edge of the bowl with just a small lip right next to the charcoal basket sides. Pour mostly ashed over, mostly full chimney of K in between the side of the bowl and your charcoal fence. All or almost all of the leg quarters will take up roughly 3/4's of the grate on a 22", and you want the larger ones around the perimeter of the cooking area: some RIGHT NEXT TO your charcoal fence and the other larger ones around the edge of the bowl. Kingsford Comp will give you higher temps if you're gonna just leave skin up and cook as hot as you can, going for crisp skin. My point is not to mess with rotating pieces around. I think you might be pleasantly surprised. What to do with all that chicken? Why, pulled chicken, of course. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk