Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question about temp management  (Read 5024 times)

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
Re: Question about temp management
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 12:31:36 PM »
We're going on vacation starting tomorrow evening and returning Feb 28th.  If anyone still needs tips/pointers when we get back give us a call.  The SnS really nails low and slow cooks, so if your experience is problematic I'm 110% confident a short chat on the phone should improve things for you dramatically.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »

It sounds like I should have read the instructions better!  I left my top wide open which was probably the cause of my problem.  Like I said, I'm used the snake and don't have to think about it and have only done 1 SNS smoke so far...so I'm sure I'll dial it in the next cook or two.  It was awesome for slow then seared steaks the other night!

Same here. I went with the top vents wide open. I'll have to put the instructions right in front of me next time.
Weather plays a big part in using a Weber kettle. So it's not fair to harshly criticized the SNS when conditions are not favorable as in my case. Can't wait to try it on a nice warm day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 04:05:43 PM »
@bustinbutt - I agree.  Of course the weather here is fairly warm, but all for dialing in the SNS.  It gives me tons of room on my 26er. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 04:44:32 PM »
This temp graph is from my wsm over ~4 hours but you get the idea. My wsm will hold +\- 10 degrees as long as external variables that others mentioned are mitigated. When hooked up to a stoker the wsm typically holds +\- 2 deg

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 01:31:41 AM »
I haven't done too much on my kettle... Most smokes on my wsm and before that on my JJ.

On the wsm too vent wide open... But on the kettles I always needed to close up the top one a bit to keep temps down.
In either case I was able to hold temp for and hour plus with out intervention... Typically it with sit with out fluctuating until the fuel gets low, or burns itself into a different shape.

Haven't tried snake too many times. I always buy lump and it doesn't seem to offer any more advantage... I still have to do the same this GS with the vents and too much air will cause the embers to spread faster then the fuel burns out. Doesn't seem to be much more easy/efficient/different then just piling fuel behind a raid and lighting one side with a blow torch.