Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking a butt today : it turned out!  (Read 2719 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Smoking a butt today : it turned out!
« on: February 16, 2016, 08:32:22 AM »

CMF hit hard this morning. On its way back up though. Shooting for around 300°. Wanna try hot and fast. Still gonna wrap around 160° IT. Pig hit the grill about 10:30am. Hope for dinner about 6. Will update throughout the day.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:52:34 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Smoking a butt today
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:36:27 AM »
@TheDude  - Is this your first hot and fast pork smoke?  Looks like a nice fatty chucnk of meat.  I hope your results are as good as the other hot and fast smokes I've seen and eaten.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:01:11 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed  Yeah, first hot and fast. Not going as planned though. All 4 vents are wide open and can't get much over 200°. Hope I don't have to order pizza for dinner.
Still need a 22” yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 10:03:05 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed  Yeah, first hot and fast. Not going as planned though. All 4 vents are wide open and can't get much over 200°. Hope I don't have to order pizza for dinner.

Thats weird!  Snake or minion?  Add 6-8 more hot coals!  If you are using a kettle with Daisy Wheels you might try shutting down on or two of them all the way and just leaving the one closest to the lit coals wide open.  Sometimes I think if the fire isn't good and hot, opening all of the vents just keeps air flowing through too fast to get things hotter again.  Three wide open bottom vents pulling air in versus one top vent wide open to me means you might be pulling in more fresh air than you are exhausting.  I've noticed this with my 26er.  If I want to increase temps and open the bottom all of the way, it is more cool air than the coals seem to be able to keep up with.  If I shut the bottom half way it seems to do the trick.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:04:53 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 11:25:27 AM »

Thats weird!  Snake or minion?  Add 6-8 more hot coals!  If you are using a kettle with Daisy Wheels you might try shutting down on or two of them all the way and just leaving the one closest to the lit coals wide open.  Sometimes I think if the fire isn't good and hot, opening all of the vents just keeps air flowing through too fast to get things hotter again.  Three wide open bottom vents pulling air in versus one top vent wide open to me means you might be pulling in more fresh air than you are exhausting.  I've noticed this with my 26er.  If I want to increase temps and open the bottom all of the way, it is more cool air than the coals seem to be able to keep up with.  If I shut the bottom half way it seems to do the trick.

Wish I'd seen this sooner. Been busy around the house.

Haven't peaked yet. Gonna close a couple vents and see what happens. Oh, running a snake. Tried minion with ribs a few months ago. Constant refueling and temp swings aren't for me.
Still need a 22” yellow

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 11:27:52 AM »
Set up another snake in my OTP. Gonna add beans and transfer at 140°.
Still need a 22” yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »
Set up another snake in my OTP. Gonna add beans and transfer at 140°.

Ah, so this raises a good question.  Did you have a pan of water (hot water) in your grill?  I think I have only done one smoke without a water pan and I had problems getting to temp.  That might be the problem.

Also what snake configuration are you using?  I'd think a 3X2 might be easier to maintain at 300 than a 2x2.  My friend that smokes at higher heat has an egg, and an ATC so he just sets it and forgets it.  I've never tried a hot smoke on my kettles, but would definitely go 3X2 instead of 2X2.   Always easier to pull some coals out than to add some in.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:50:45 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »
2x2 snake. 3x2 would take a lot of space, I think. Had water pan at first, now beans. Wrapped at 160°, not much of a bark. Grill is up to 270°, so hopefully we start cruising along now.
Still need a 22” yellow

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 02:40:23 PM »
194°. With rest time, looks like it's pizza tonight. Make a good snak later. Maybe freeze some and stuff a fatty next week.
Still need a 22” yellow

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 03:30:40 PM »
Probe tender and in the cooler at 6:15. We'll see what's what in a while.
Still need a 22” yellow

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 04:50:51 PM »

Bark turned out better than I thought.

Clean bone.

Pulled with 0 effort.

Hot and fast didn't happen, but damn it was good.
Still need a 22” yellow

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smoking a butt today : it turned out!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 04:58:54 PM »
Looks great.

Next time try a 2x2x1 snake. I have been able to maintain temps of 275-300 with that set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 05:01:57 PM »
...but damn it was good.

Looks like you had a successful cook to me!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 05:04:08 PM »
Not a bad idea. Would need to cherry pick little pieces of wood. Was windy today. The last few hours, I flipped over the picnic table to block some. Temp climbed much better after that.
Still need a 22” yellow

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 05:44:20 PM »
Looks good from here. Wind might have been what was really messing you up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk