Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trying my 2nd Smoke RIGHT NOW!  (Read 3069 times)

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
Re: Trying my 2nd Smoke RIGHT NOW!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 05:39:23 AM »
It was a pork shoulder. It tasted great. Only thing bad about it was the section. Maybe the 1inch outer layer was a little dry. Is that a sign of cooking it to long?

I wrapped it in foil when the IT was at 195 and let it sit for an hour.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Trying my 2nd Smoke RIGHT NOW!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »
It was a pork shoulder. It tasted great. Only thing bad about it was the section. Maybe the 1inch outer layer was a little dry. Is that a sign of cooking it to long?

I wrapped it in foil when the IT was at 195 and let it sit for an hour.

I can't see any pics but assumed it was a roast cut from the Boston butt portion of a shoulder. In your case, no doubt the outer layer was dry from cooking too fast, (although it can happen if cooking too slow in a dry environment.) A water pan (or a Slow n sear) will help moderate the temp, but a lot of folks simply wrap with foil at some point in the cook. In that case you can cook as fast as you want and wrap when the bark is where you want it. You'll just end up with more unrendered fat. As far as the wrapping after the cook and holding an hour, while I find it helps briskets, in my experience it really doesn't do too much for butts if they're already cooked the way you want them. Some of the best pork butts I've ever smoked just sat on the counter tented with foil for less than half an hour before pulling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:16:48 PM by kettlecook »