Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 26 vs 22 for indirect cooking?  (Read 1904 times)

BBQ Breath

• Smokey Joe
26 vs 22 for indirect cooking?
« on: March 13, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »
I have been using my 22 OTG for indirect cooking for years. Lately I have been wondering if the larger 26 kettle would offer any advantage for "low and slow" cooking. Any thoughts? I figure with the coals a bit further from the meat it may help a bit, not that I am unhappy the way things come out now.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:38:12 PM by BBQ Breath »

Duke

• The Duke
Re: 26 vs 22 for indirect cooking?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:45:56 PM »
You could also try making a raised rack. You might see about the same difference.

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: 26 vs 22 for indirect cooking?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »
The 26 gives you more real estate and more space for charcoal, particularly the newer version which has a larger charcoal grate. You could fit more stuff in there and still have room to keep it away from the coals.

Another alternative for a sort of indirect cooking is the mini-WSM. with the water pan left out, I often cook on the top grate which puts some distance between the food and fire. It's a kind of hybrid between direct and indirect. Of course it will not hold a 20 lb turkey like the 26.

Another alternative (which I have not tried) would be a rotisserie ring. There must be some way to elevate a grate in that to provide some additional space between fire and food.
kettles, smokers...