Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pecan Wood?  (Read 7936 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Pecan Wood?
« on: January 28, 2016, 09:10:58 AM »
Hello all,

I got a huge bag of pecan wood for smoking last night at Walmart for $4.50.  First off, if this is your thing, you may want to check it out.  Secondly, how do you all feel about pecan?  What is good with?  Let me know!

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Re: Pecan Wood?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 09:20:49 AM »
Pecan is good for nearly every type of cooks. It's mild and depending on what I'm cooking, I would use it with another type of wood. I usually mix pecan with hickory for pork. For poultry I would mix pecan and a fruit wood such as apple or peach. Or pecan alone is good by itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 09:21:58 AM »
Another big fan of Pecan here - really nice stuff!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 09:22:10 AM »
I actually prefer Pecan for cheese, pork & poultry. Nice mellow smoke. Actually, for pork, it works well in combination with Applewood.
Chunks or chips?  How many pounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 09:22:40 AM »
Milder cousin of hickory, which, personally, I think is kinda sharp-edged.....will go nice with just about anything.........

Here's a bit of discussion......

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/111012/pecan-wood
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 09:58:14 AM »
Thanks @1buckie @brewtownbeatdown I got a 10 lb. bag. 

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:02:27 AM »
I usually use either apple or an apple/hickory mix...so I'm excited to try this out. 

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 10:05:42 AM »
Pecan is money

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 10:52:36 AM »
I do a lot of smoking with a 50/50 combo of pecan and apple.  Use this combo with all pork smokes.  I'm going to have to check out my local walmart!  @crowderjd -  Was this chips or chunks and how heavy of a bag?  I used to use chips but use only chunks now.  I usually order the weber brand on amazon....5lb bag for $8.97 for either pecan or apple, hickory (I don't really use) and cherry (good for turkeys and other whole birds) are $6.97.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 11:15:58 AM »
Not a fan of Walmart, but a huge fan of smoking with pecan wood. Might have to go check it out... thanks for the tip, @crowderjd . I'll 2nd @MikeRocksTheRed 's question... was it the chips or chunks?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 12:12:54 PM »
Interesting topic. I recently bought a bag of Weber chunks (Apple) and on the back of the bag was a little chart showing what the different woods pair well with. Pecan caught my eye was the one with the most choices, and was likely to be my next purchase so thanks for the tip! 

One thing I wanted to include in the same pic was the warning label right below the chart, anyone have any insight into this?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 12:17:16 PM »
Oh great now another thing I gotta worry about.

I've got a lot of applewood with bark still on it (they are tree branches I cut). What about bark?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »

One thing I wanted to include in the same pic was the warning label right below the chart, anyone have any insight into this?
Apparently, anything that is good, is not good for you in the state of CA.  Cow farts lead to cancer in CA.

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 12:18:32 PM »

Apparently, anything that is good, is not good for you in the state of CA.  Cow farts lead to cancer in CA (only the good ones).

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 12:19:13 PM »