Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2015 CB performer crazing!!!?????  (Read 3919 times)

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
2015 CB performer crazing!!!?????
« on: January 20, 2016, 12:42:44 PM »
Just pulled the taco off my CB performer to clean the lid up and put one of Brian's handles on, and I see this....

Called into Weber customer service. Waiting for response. Very few....if any high heat cooks have been done on this kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: 2015 CB performer crazing!!!?????
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »
That sucks, hopefully they'll replace it.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »
That's not crazing. I have never seen crazing on a lid. It is the handle torque that caused that. The handle sits up high, just lifting it will most likely cause that.
Was the nut loose underneath? This happens on the newer RK's, fix might be a fire place handle. They are shorter and the feet point in a different direction.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 02:35:17 PM »

That's not crazing. I have never seen crazing on a lid. It is the handle torque that caused that. The handle sits up high, just lifting it will most likely cause that.
Was the nut loose underneath? This happens on the newer RK's, fix might be a fire place handle. They are shorter and the feet point in a different direction.

I took great care do not over tighten the handle when I built the grill. It's possible that this could be a design flaw I guess. It sure looks like crazing, but no the nuts were not loose either. Disappointing $400 grill 6 months old. I've never asked anything of Weber customer service I will be curious to see how they handle this.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 02:38:05 PM »
I will be amazed if they do not replace this for you.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 02:38:19 PM »
Ive seen that type of porcelain chipping on overtightened 2015 model lid handle kits...you said you didnt...so not sure what is going on

Grills

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 03:03:02 PM »

Ive seen that type of porcelain chipping on overtightened 2015 model lid handle kits...you said you didnt...so not sure what is going on

Looking at the pictures. My guess would've been it was over tightened too. But I was so careful with this thing! I love this kettle. Woke up at 5 AM the morning after I got home from St. Louis with it to build it. I took painstaking care to not over tighten anything. Damn... I have issues...

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 03:18:48 PM »
I believe it...id be a bit upset...id be surprised if weber dodnt replace it.
On older performers...there is always porcelain loss around the service holes...this may be due to lower quality porcelain enameling process and heat blowing out porcelain...that wouldnt be a surprise

Ive bought a few wsms where the enameling process was poor quality missing around aervice holes...i always inspect each piece to ensure it is properly enameled with complete coverage.
Grills

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 04:52:56 PM »
Weber will take care of that. You will get a lecture about over tightening.  If they are not helpful, wait and try again with a different rep.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 05:51:55 PM »
That has happened to a few members here. It's a result of the silly bolt on handles.....they not only look like shite but are prone to that. All the more reason to buy older Kettles.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 08:05:44 PM »
@weldboy Nothing you did. I believe like @MrHoss , it is a design flaw. @ramsfan had issues with his RK. He may have the fix. Is there a fiber washer between the handle and the lid? I don't have a taco handle lid and have never looked up close at one.

When you get your new lid, I would get a large SS fender washer to press against the inside lid.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 09:59:01 PM »
@weldboy,  I've noticed, what I believe to be over-tightened bolts, on many kettles.  My bale on my Performer has chipped enamel at all three fastening points, as well as, the igniter mounting bracket.  Same with my old blue MT.  I'm the second owner of both, so I didn't see the assembly of either kettle.  MAYBE, it's a result of using "flat" washers and nuts on a basically "curved" surface that's coated in enamel ???    When you get your new lid, shape some washers with a torch & ball peen hammer and try them against the curved enamel spots  ...  just a thought.                         SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 10:11:18 PM »
@SmokenJoe will have to try that , @glrasmussen I don't believe there is a washer

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 10:21:16 PM »
@weldboy,  my WSM has fiber washers between the outside of the middle chamber and the rack holders inside.  You could easily get them from Weber if no where else.                  SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 10:23:04 PM »

@weldboy,  my WSM has fiber washers between the outside of the middle chamber and the rack holders inside.  You could easily get them from Weber if no where else.                  SJ

Great to know. I will look into it for sure