Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need help deciding on first kettle purchase  (Read 10976 times)

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
Re: Need help deciding on first kettle purchase
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2016, 12:32:44 PM »
The most important question: What are you going to cook for your first cook?

I vote Burgers

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2016, 12:33:04 PM »
Your experience may vary.
I use lump and briqs...im transitioning off kbb blue to stubbs briqs and lump bc of the amount of ash kbb blue produces.  Also the total burn time and reuse of lump /stubbs i think evens out actual cost
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2016, 01:32:38 PM »
I use either lump or briqs too. Kingsford is cheap, but ONLY if you buy it on sale, and it really only goes on sale a few times each year. I won't pay the $10/bag normal price. I'd rather get a smaller bag of hardwood briquettes or pay more for lump. Hell, for $10 Kingsford offers their Hickory or Applewood infused stuff and it's better charcoal also. Why? Because KBB produces a LOT of waste ash AND the blue smoke it emits while starting up makes baby Jesus cry. It is consistent however.

The experienced charcoal griller needs exposure to both lump and briquets, to know how to use them as they come 'round the bend. Get some disposable nitrile or whatever gloves for dealing with it cold. A galvanized bucket from Wal-Mart is good for dumping ash into prior to dumping into the trashcan.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2016, 01:37:42 PM »
You're gonna LOVE IT!  Had my Cooper performer deluxe now for eight months and I don't regret the purchase!  I started out using KBB, but I've pretty much switched over to Stubbs and Royal lump.  Just seemed like a lot more smoke and ash with the KBB.  But, man, those double bag specials in the spring.....no, no.   Resist.  Anywho, BEWARE! Because once you break that bad boy in you'll want to accessorize!!  My personal favorites:  Roti Ring with a Napoleon Shish Kabob Wheel.  Check ebay, got a good deal on a roti ring with a burnt out motor that I replaced with a battery operated one.  Above all, ENJOY!!!

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2016, 05:06:04 AM »
You're gonna end up trying both, the lump and briqs. Go ahead and get them both and let us know which you prefer.  My money is on the hardwood lump.

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
Need help deciding on first kettle purchase
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2016, 01:58:43 PM »
She's ready for her first cook.   Steaks are in the fridge waiting.  Going to give it a go with the lump charcoal for starters. 

Thank you again everyone for getting me this far. 

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:19:00 PM by Loonysup »

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2016, 02:07:26 PM »
Its god damn nice isn't it?

Looks even better in pictures then in your diagram :P

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2016, 02:32:42 PM »
Nice, thur so purty! Make sure to post up some pics of your 1st cook :)
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2016, 02:39:33 PM »
Nice!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2016, 02:44:03 PM »
She's ready for her first cook.   Steaks are in the fridge waiting.  Going to give it a go with the lump charcoal for starters. 

Thank you again everyone for getting me this far. 

David

Beautiful. .and now I want a copper..dangit. you will love that cooker

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »
If you mentioned that your gasser was also copper I must have missed.  Nice choice getting the matching performer.  Can't wait to see how your first cooks go and how you like it!

Since you have never cooked on a weber charcoal kettle before, it would be cool if you keep a good log of your first dozen cooks or so and document it in the cooks section for future 1st timers!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2016, 03:28:14 PM »
I sent my wife to the store to get ground chuck to make burgers for the inaugural cook and she came back with these ribeyes.    Said the grill needs to be broken in properly.   Good woman!!!

David

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2016, 03:51:02 PM »
Yup, you have a good woman. I'm sure she's glad you finally made a decision :)
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2016, 03:59:05 PM »
Congratulations on the purchase! The performer looks great there, and I'm thinking you probably won't even need move out of the patio, you should be good given the size of those screens, just make sure the doors to the house are closed.

Your wife sounds like a keeper for sure!

Can't wait to see how the cook goes!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2016, 04:10:29 PM »
That's a badass looking Copper! Awesome first purchase!