Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer Advice  (Read 6730 times)

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
Performer Advice
« on: January 08, 2016, 04:47:03 AM »
Hey Guys!  I have been away for awhile with just life getting real crazy for me.  I finally got rid of my ole CharBroil gasser that was taking a huge amount of Real estate on my porch as well.  Now my wife tells me I need to buy me a table to fit on my 22 So we can have a decent work surface.  I told her I had a better idea that I needed to add another grill to my arsenal and pick me up a Performer from CL and she gave me the go ahead woohoo.  I was wondering is there anything in particular I need to look for when picking up a  used Performer.  I have several areas set up to notify me from CL for Webers so hopefully with some patience I can pick me up a good one.  Thanks all for any advice and its nice to be back on here.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Performer Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 05:31:10 AM »
Any of them can be refurbished, so it comes down to cost, whether or not you mind fixing one potentially and preference for style/color. As for what to look for? See if it lights! Check the condition of both grates too. You'll probably need to replace the two little wheels.

Basically, look for stuff you might need to replace right away unless you don't mind doing that, say if a particular color strikes you.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 05:59:33 AM »
The condition of the bowl/lid would be my main concern.  Everything else can be easily tweaked, cleaned, repaired or replaced.

good luck!

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 06:11:55 AM »
   If its a performer with propane check the bowl for high heat crazing. Both of the performers that I got off of CL the bowls were in terrible shape, I guess the owners were keeping the igniter on along with the charcoal to cook with. Both of my bowls have been replaced since they are still under warranty. So that might be another factor to consider make sure the performer is new enough that it is still under warranty.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 06:52:41 AM »
Do the performers use the Date Codes on the lid vent?

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 06:57:03 AM »
Do the performers use the Date Codes on the lid vent?

Yes they do. Same code system as a regular kettle
Just bought my first performer. I can already tell I'm gonna love it!
Good luck in your search.

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 07:25:29 AM »
Thanks everyone for your info.  I am gonna keep my eyes peeled on CL for a good but.  Would love to have a Green or Blue Performer and SS if I could find one.  I can tell though I need one Kettle to keep my Vortex in, one for the SnS when I pick one up and another for whatever else LOL.  Was also thinking about building me a UDS but I keep seeing some of the SJ conversions seem real close.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 07:30:52 AM »
This one looks like a green ss performer.  Good price.
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/for/5384814135.html

A little pricier but might have some wiggle room if you are interested in a black one.  Includes a cover which is a good bonus!
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/hsh/5384714856.html
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 08:22:55 AM »
Yea I have emailed both of those owners but haven't heard back yet.  Thanks for posting those tho

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
Here is some good reading while you wait:

http://weberkettleclub.com/grills/weber-performer-history/

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 10:41:42 AM »
With the SSPs specifically, you really need to give the cart a good checking over.  Most are rock solid, but quite a few out there have gotten rusted out and are all cattywampus.   Even those can be fixed, but it's more effort/cost.

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »
Nice read there Winz thanks for that.  Helps me with hopefully being able to identify one too.  Thanks for that info as well Demo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 04:22:30 PM »
With the SSPs specifically, you really need to give the cart a good checking over.  Most are rock solid, but quite a few out there have gotten rusted out and are all cattywampus.   Even those can be fixed, but it's more effort/cost.

This ^^^^.

I think I have 4 SSPs....2 are solid. One needed a quick stabilization repair to keep it from doing the forward lean/collapse. I atttached 90-degree brackets w/ self-tapping screws in the 4 upper frame corners. On one the frame is shot and is apart for future (likely never) repair.  8)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 05:20:24 PM »
So both of the SSPs posted above are Gen1?  Do they both seem to be worth $100-$150?  They are both still available

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 07:45:34 PM »
So both of the SSPs posted above are Gen1?  Do they both seem to be worth $100-$150?  They are both still available

All SS Performers are Gen 1, as all Gen 1 Performers have a square stock steel frame and a stainless steel, flip-up table. Gen 2 and 3 Performers have a round tube frame and a thermoset table that is fixed to the frame.
The latest Performer (gen 4) has a metal table again, but not SS and still fixed to a tubular frame.

Are they worth $100 or more? That is a question for the ages! In areas where Performers were very popular and there are plenty of used ones for sale $100 may be high. If you don't often see them on your local Craigslist, then a clean and sturdy example may be worth more.
The green one in the ad looks like it might be in really good shape. Hard to tell from the CL pic.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC