Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin Vitamin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Vitamin, Folic  (Read 3169 times)

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
Bread.
Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast.
And yet, not a single grocery store I go to sell this. Its all chemical sponge... Weirdly textured pillows of too much stuff.
So I'll do it myself.  >:(

First attempt.
I've made dough before, mainly for pizzas because... God don't get me started on the state of Pizzas....
Shout out to.... I forget :( (sorry, and actually may have been on TWVB) for the recommendation of "Flour Water Salt Yeast" book... I complain constantly that this IS what bread is, so was thrilled to see a book encapsulate that.

Not bad, not the greatest... But a decent start.
I have no oven, so I started on the 14.5 WSM... When that didn't want to go over 350, I moved all the burning coal and the dutch oven over to the performer to finish off. Despite spending most the cook over 100 degrees too low, and finishing at 420 instead of 475 it came out alright. And by all right I mean better then anything I can go to the grocery store and pick up. Was worried at the lower temps that the crust would be too thick, but that doesn't appear to have been an issue.
Plenty didn't go as well as planned, and its the simplest recipe out of the book, but still came out tasty enough that I am wondering if I can just do this weekly instead of buying bread.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
We're eating far less wheat these days ... makes the 'ol digestive system work harder than it should, and also belly fat amass, from experience ... but baking bread remains an interest. Might have to get that book. In particular I'd be interested in small loafs, small portions.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
I got a kitchen aid mixer for christmas and in two attempts, all I can say is, it is a work in progress.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
We're eating far less wheat these days ... makes the 'ol digestive system work harder than it should, and also belly fat amass, from experience ... but baking bread remains an interest. Might have to get that book. In particular I'd be interested in small loafs, small portions.
I think my Dutch oven I have is a 2 qt, its about 8 inches around at the top, pretty small guy.

He gives recipes for 4 qt dutch oven in the book, and each batch of bread is split into 2 loafs. I just made half what he gives, using 500g of flour instead of 1000. Pretty small loafs. The 1 day breads he (the author) says should last 3 days or so, while the breads made with a natural starter have lower acidity and should last 6-7 days.

The book does a good job of walking you through step by step, and is a good starter if you have never made bread before.

Going to cook the second half of the dough I made yesterday this afternoon. Going straight for the kettle this time as it seems easier to get hotter.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Looks good.  Now that I am getting into the world of pizza dough making I see no reason not to try bread as well.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave

Heat trouble again as I am too stingy to start more then one basket, but 15min in I gave up, filled the second basket got it lit and dropped it in.

Little better color, and slightly thinner crust... Definitely helps to have that heat over 400. Next time I will give it a little longer, think it could use a little more.

Looking forward to moving up to the levain breads soon.

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
This makes me want to bake some bread. That's next on my list after I get pizza mastered.

Keep the pics and info coming.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
This makes me want to bake some bread. That's next on my list after I get pizza mastered.

Keep the pics and info coming.

I'm actually hoping that this will help up my pizza making too. At some point I may look into one of the kettle attachments but I had been using

This little propane guy I built for $25 but most pizza stones or tiles can't handle the rapid temp change in it and crack, so I need to buy a kiln shelf at some point.

The salt flour water yeast book actually has a pizza section I haven't gotten to, and tips on using the second half of any dough batch as pizza dough.

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
Good to know.  I've been reading through "The Pizza Bible", but I'll have to check that book too.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
@MeatAndPotatos
Does Ken Forkish's book recommend using bleached & enriched / all purpose flour?

Unbleached offers better bread structure & flavor yada...high gluten for pizza.....bla bla bla....

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Interesting thread …. Thanks for sharing.  Need more action pics.

I need to buy a kiln shelf at some point.

Yes!  I highly recommend this.  I got one for my KP set-up, and I have not regretted it. 
Can handle temps of 2000° plus.  It has shown no signs of cracking.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
@MeatAndPotatos
Does Ken Forkish's book recommend using bleached & enriched / all purpose flour?

Unbleached offers better bread structure & flavor yada...high gluten for pizza.....bla bla bla....
I don't think anyone suggests using bleached flour, lol.

I haven't actually finished the book, but in general he recommends King Arthur organic all purpose flower, or in general cream colour d unbleached flour with ~12% protein. He says at his bakery and pizzeria they use Shepherds Grain Low Gluten flour for white read and pizza, stating "These lower-protein flours have more in common with the flour used in French and Italian artisan bakeries, and they tolerate a long rise well and produce a crumb that is delicate and easy to digest. They also produce dough that ends up less tight and more pliable, resulting in bread with a nice open crumb and a crust that blooms nicely during baking."

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
I think my Dutch oven I have is a 2 qt, its about 8 inches around at the top, pretty small guy.

He gives recipes for 4 qt dutch oven in the book, and each batch of bread is split into 2 loafs. I just made half what he gives, using 500g of flour instead of 1000. Pretty small loafs. The 1 day breads he (the author) says should last 3 days or so, while the breads made with a natural starter have lower acidity and should last 6-7 days.

The book does a good job of walking you through step by step, and is a good starter if you have never made bread before.

Going to cook the second half of the dough I made yesterday this afternoon. Going straight for the kettle this time as it seems easier to get hotter.

Good to know, thanks! I was eyeballing the 2QT DO at the Lodge store last month, too.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
Good to know, thanks! I was eyeballing the 2QT DO at the Lodge store last month, too.
Well, it sounds like it would be bad luck to ignore such fateful events :P

Just pulled a loaf out of the kettle. Its amazing how it crackles like a fireplace as it cools.

This time I made a loaf where half the flour is mixed with an equal part water and a very small amount of yeast and allowed to ferment into a bubbly soup overnight. A small amount more water is added ~14 hours later, then that is added to the rest of the flour, some salt and a bit more yeast and allowed to rise a few hours more.

I used the two baskets from the start this time, and heat the dutch over directly over them (lid over one, pot over the other) until they were near 500 deg.

When I replaced the kettle lid after taking the lid off the dutch oven ~30 minutes in, I set it down without it quite sealing things up (slipped off the side a bit, resting against the performer table), and it seemed to get a bit warmer that way.

Will add pictures once it cools down and I cut it.

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave

Crackled for nearly 50 minutes after cooking.

The preferment didn't add as much as I had hoped, but still happy.
Almost makes me wish I had the 4 quart DO, these little loafs go quick :)