Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza, pizza, and more pizza  (Read 36937 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Pizza, pizza, and more pizza
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2016, 02:56:44 PM »
Crazy, i'll have to watch the welds on mine over time. Though I haven't be able to get out and cook over the past few days (been away for work). Though I an going to attempt a quick rise dough tomorrow or Saturday to compare to last weeks pizzas. I'll let you guys know how it turns out

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bobby Flays 1 hour rise dough has been doing pretty good for me.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
Pizza, pizza, and more pizza
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2016, 04:15:09 PM »
Bobby Flays 1 hour rise dough has been doing pretty good for me.

I agree, completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 04:29:29 PM by jfbincypress »

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2016, 02:16:50 AM »
Checked out that recipe of Bobby Flays and that's pretty much the same recipe I've been using these past many years, too.  If you want to try something different, add a pinch of cinnamon to the ingredients before you mix 'em together.  And I do mean a pinch!  A little cinnamon goes a long way, but it does give it a nice little flavor that folks that try it seem to love.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2016, 10:40:12 AM »
All these pies look good to me.

I really enjoy my kettle pizza.  So far, my best heat method has been to do a chimney of either regular kingsford, or competition briquets, then add lump to that until it spikes above 600.  A few chunks of hardwood right before I want to cook a pie to spike the temps.

I have the PK with the "tombstone" so there's a stone in a frame that has open sides so you can add coals without removing the stone.  It's awesome.

I tried using that steel pan once and I just ended up cussing and burning a pizza to it.  Now I use that steel pan to heat nachos when I have the pizza oven going and nothing else.

Everything I've read says the dough you should use for the fire ovens is more neopolitan/NY style which is more delicate.  I don't toss it, for two reasons.  First, it will just tear and I don't know what I'm doing.  Second, everything I read says tossing can make the delicate dough tough.

I'm still learning, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Tuberoller

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 04:47:09 AM »
I can vouch for using the Slow N Sear with a KP. It not only allows for easier refueling but the temps get higher quicker and last longer. Using coconut charcoal and a log I can get 900 dome temps and max the gauge on the KP in about 30 minutes and hold those temps for about an hour. If I do an "assembly line" we can get 8 pies done with a single fire. I never really hung around to confirm if temps held longer than an hour but next time I will.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2016, 08:40:04 AM »
@Troy  - Can you move this thread to the pizza forum.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2016, 08:49:19 AM »

Wow, whet did you have the lid vent positioned in relation to the coals?

When I get mine going, if the coals are at 12 o'clock, I usually have the lid vent at 9 o'clock and the thermometer at 3 o'clock.

Coals were at 12 o'clock and the vent was at 9 o'clock.  I did three pies the other night....had a really really hot fire at one point then it died down a bit prior to my 3rd pie.   I opened the vent at one point and flames were licking out of it, so that might be what melted it.

Wow. Best to put the vent on the side opposite the fire. I wouldn't use mesquite, either. Nothing burns hotter or has a stronger smoke flavor.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2016, 08:55:23 AM »

When I get mine going, if the coals are at 12 o'clock, I usually have the lid vent at 9 o'clock and the thermometer at 3 o'clock.

Coals were at 12 o'clock and the vent was at 9 o'clock.  I did three pies the other night....had a really really hot fire at one point then it died down a bit prior to my 3rd pie.   I opened the vent at one point and flames were licking out of it, so that might be what melted it.

Wow. Best to put the vent on the side opposite the fire. I wouldn't use mesquite, either. Nothing burns hotter or has a stronger smoke flavor.

@kettlecook -  I use nothing but mesquite for my wood when I do pizzas.  It burns hot and it tastes great once the dough sucks it in.  All of the pizza places out here in Pheonix use mesquite.  I am agree with you that mequite generally is a very heavy smoke and I never use it for anything besides pizza.  Maybe since its burning hot instead of smoldering the smoke isn't as strong when doing pizzas as it would be when smoking slow and low.  I don't think I would even bother trying another type of wood for pizza because I like how the crust tastes with mesquite so much!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Pizza, pizza, and more pizza
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2016, 05:52:40 PM »

@kettlecook -  I use nothing but mesquite for my wood when I do pizzas.  It burns hot and it tastes great once the dough sucks it in.  All of the pizza places out here in Pheonix use mesquite.  I am agree with you that mequite generally is a very heavy smoke and I never use it for anything besides pizza.  Maybe since its burning hot instead of smoldering the smoke isn't as strong when doing pizzas as it would be when smoking slow and low.  I don't think I would even bother trying another type of wood for pizza because I like how the crust tastes with mesquite so much!

Sounds good other than the flames leaping out the vent part from your previous post, but I've been there and done that, too. Thankfully I was able to bend the vent handle back and hopefully I won't forget to keep it opposite the fire. I'm too not surprised about your mesquite burning unusually clean in the kettle. I run my offset smoker with the door wide open 3/4 of the time and don't dare use briquettes or inferior lump because I know it won't draft adequately for a clean burn with anything other than very well seasoned oak, hickory, of fruitwood. With the Kettlepizza though, I've been very impressed with how oak and hickory burns on just a chimney of regular old Kingsford. It's really something else, so I'm not surprised with the mesquite when I think about it. I wonder if the places in Phoenix you mention are using the mesquite because of availability and it's low cost of if they just prefer the flavor. Guess it doesn't matter, but anyhow, for true Neapolitan 900*+ your mesquite might just be the best choice. [emoji106]

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 06:09:25 PM by kettlecook »