Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza, pizza, and more pizza  (Read 36932 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Pizza, pizza, and more pizza
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2016, 12:04:42 PM »
How do you guys spread your dough out?  Spread by hand or toss?  I do a hand spread then a hold and hang whil rotating kind of deal.  It doesn't make for very even thickness.  The last pepperoni pizza pic I posted in this thread looks round because I trimmed it with a pizza cutter after I laid it out. 

I just googled how to toss pizza and came across this video.  http://youtu.be/VIJlRXMfW50  As I was watching I was saying to myself, ok, I can do that, I can do that, I can do that too, then he explains how to toss it and becomes a Harlem Globetrotter.  Kind of cracks me up how it went from being very informative to me thinking I'll just keep trying to spread my dough on a flat surface.    Let me know how do yours and if you had the same thought on the video as I did.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2016, 02:05:31 PM »
I spread mine with a roller on a lightly flour-coated countertop. I don't worry about round, just the size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2016, 02:08:24 PM »
...and I sincerely feel that guy is a wizard.

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2016, 02:36:39 PM »
How do you guys spread your dough out?  Spread by hand or toss?  I do a hand spread then a hold and hang whil rotating kind of deal.  It doesn't make for very even thickness.  The last pepperoni pizza pic I posted in this thread looks round because I trimmed it with a pizza cutter after I laid it out. 

I just googled how to toss pizza and came across this video.  http://youtu.be/VIJlRXMfW50  As I was watching I was saying to myself, ok, I can do that, I can do that, I can do that too, then he explains how to toss it and becomes a Harlem Globetrotter.  Kind of cracks me up how it went from being very informative to me thinking I'll just keep trying to spread my dough on a flat surface.    Let me know how do yours and if you had the same thought on the video as I did.
Tossing dough is pretty easy. Doing it fast... is hard. You can try with a damp wet washcloth (square one).

I do like that guy does... But he seems kinda hard on the dough when he jams his fingers into it. Most things I have read/seen suggest not using your finger tips like that, more kinda your like your first knuckle from the tip/the area between first and second knuckle and not pressing too hard so that you don't squeeze the air out, rather push the dough and air gently out towards the edge to form a rim.

You put the dough over the back of your floured hands, making fists with one fist in front of the other not side by side (as in on fist is further from your chest...)
You then kinda widen your fists, while  using them to rotate the pizza moving them from one in front of the other to side by side while tossing the dough up.
Man... I think I did a bad job explaining, kinda hard, lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWL__9yDu8I
Notice how he uses his fingers in the first 20 seconds. I wouldn't be that frantic with it to start with.
Using a rolling pin I dissagree with... Kinda seems like after all the fermentation, gluten development, building up of gasses with in the gluten matrix... Just to smash it out with a rolling pin.
I don't do the throw back and forth from this (~35 second mark)  video either.
He also holds his hands differently... But you can see how while he recommends starting with hands side by side, when he goes to toss he dips down and puts one in front of the other like i recommend.
The important part is how he spins his hands around each other while moving upwards.

Tossing dough is kinda a party trick though IMO.
I tend to just rest it over my knuckles like I was going to toss it, but stretch it out gently by gravity and gently pulling my fists apart, repositioning hands after each stretch to rotate the dough and stretch it evenly.

I also like this method, while I have not practice it much.... It helps stretch the dough by its own weight with out squishing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L06JtWLd5c
Though this guy slaps it more then I think is needed in the beginning, you get the point that your left hand gently stretches the dough and then tosses it over the back of your right hand as you lift it up, then you flip your hand back down slightly rotating the dough and stretching the dough as its flung back onto the table.

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2016, 03:47:03 PM »
I used to work at Little Caesar's and tossed the pizza dough, but it was against company policy. I guess I was definitely a rebel back then. Lol

Maybe I'll try tossing the dough again with my own. I can see what you're saying about the rolling pin, but so far the results have been good. I'll try it this way, and see if the results turn out great.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2016, 03:57:15 PM »
I tend to just rest it over my knuckles like I was going to toss it, but stretch it out gently by gravity and gently pulling my fists apart, repositioning hands after each stretch to rotate the dough and stretch it evenly.

^^^ ...this is how I do it.

Tossing dough is kinda a party trick though IMO.

I always do this at least once, friends and family love it!

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2016, 04:06:42 PM »
I can toss really well. Its just that second toss... lol. I gotta like catch, reposition, reset... then toss again. Looses a bit of the effect. Oh well.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »
So this happened last night. Apparently I got the lid hot enough to melt the handle on my lid vent.  Didn't get any pics of my pies. Had a friend over who is an executive chef at an Italian restaurant that does wood fired pizzas.  He gave me a few pointers, but nothing ground breaking. 

I haven't tried hitting the melted plastic on the lid with steel wool yet. Not sure if it will come off or if it actually messed up the lid.  I did have the thermometer on the KP pegged out.  Used a lot of KBB as well as a few mesquite logs, so it was really really hot.  I also put a little too much coal under my stone.  The first pizza burned to a crisp on the bottom.  Starting to think 500 is a better cooking temp than the 600+ range.

My handle was gray prior to my cook last night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 11:13:38 AM »
Razor blade should take that off in no time 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2016, 06:04:26 PM »
I cook pizzas at 725 in the Pizza Que all the time, but no coals under the stone...all coals around the back and sides.

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2016, 06:10:34 PM »
Thats been the thing that has worried me about getting one. All I have is my performer (well and a 14. WSM and JJ), so I worry about heat damage from getting it up to pizza temp... I like a neapolitan pizza cooked hot and fast, so keeping it to lower temps isn't a realistic option.

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2016, 06:43:48 PM »
Wow, whet did you have the lid vent positioned in relation to the coals?

When I get mine going, if the coals are at 12 o'clock, I usually have the lid vent at 9 o'clock and the thermometer at 3 o'clock.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2016, 05:37:05 AM »
Wow, whet did you have the lid vent positioned in relation to the coals?

When I get mine going, if the coals are at 12 o'clock, I usually have the lid vent at 9 o'clock and the thermometer at 3 o'clock.

Coals were at 12 o'clock and the vent was at 9 o'clock.  I did three pies the other night....had a really really hot fire at one point then it died down a bit prior to my 3rd pie.   I opened the vent at one point and flames were licking out of it, so that might be what melted it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2016, 11:01:49 AM »
And now my lid handle has a weld that broke loose!  Not 100% sure if it was from high heat the other not when doing pizzas, the little bit of rust at the handles, using my vortex, or most likely a combination of everything.   The strange thing is that it broke off last night while doing a cook where the lid themo never got about 400.  Looks like my SS Performer is now going to be my dedicated high heat grill.  I should be able to bolt the handle back on....there is already a hole worn through in the lid, so I don't even have to worry about drilling that out, just the handles.  Once bolted on with SS bolts, it should hold solid for quite a while.   I think this is why weber has gone to bolt on handles.....so many super high heat after market products out there.  It has to be cutting their warranty lid replacements down by a very large percentage.

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2016, 02:14:10 PM »
Crazy, i'll have to watch the welds on mine over time. Though I haven't be able to get out and cook over the past few days (been away for work). Though I an going to attempt a quick rise dough tomorrow or Saturday to compare to last weeks pizzas. I'll let you guys know how it turns out