Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza, pizza, and more pizza  (Read 36960 times)

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
Re: Pizza, pizza, and more pizza
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 06:00:08 AM »
I have a wood pizza oven and just cant get it right.

@stellato1976 Can you post pics or start a new thread with your WFO.

We love anything that cooks with fire.
Come spring no problem.. She is all covered up for the winter..lol
Stay grilling  my friends!!!!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 06:05:38 AM »
@3sSecurity , your pies look great!

I have never used the KettlePizza adaptor on an 18 or 26er, but ...

I think it is best suited for a 22" kettle.  This is just my personal opinion, so maybe I'm wrong …

I use these screens and place the pizza on them.  Makes rotating the pie super-easy.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 03:14:01 PM »
Interesting...I bought these to turn my pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »
I think those pizza spinners are the way to go. I've been able to spin the pizza on the pan with my tongs pretty easily, but I don't think that's going to work well if the pizza is on a stone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 06:17:39 PM »
I think those pizza spinners are the way to go. I've been able to spin the pizza on the pan with my tongs pretty easily, but I don't think that's going to work well if the pizza is on a stone.

I've never had issues with the pizza sticking on a stone... Its like chicken on a grill. Sure maybe when you first throw it on it grabs a little, but as soon as it starts to crisp up its probably easier sliding then on those expanded metal pans you show... Especially if you have some corn meal or seminole under it. Though I have always used a metal peel, including when putting the pizza in which requires you to be a little heavy on the under coat.

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 06:21:50 PM »
Definitely have to load up cornmeal on the peel to get it in initially. You are correct though, once it crisps up it isn't too bad to pull out with the peel and rotate. I just want to be able to reach in and spin, done.

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 06:27:17 PM »
Definitely have to load up cornmeal on the peel to get it in initially. You are correct though, once it crisps up it isn't too bad to pull out with the peel and rotate. I just want to be able to reach in and spin, done.

Was more commenting on the difficulty of spinning pan vs pizza straight on the stone.

Haven't gotten hands on one in person but it looks a little like it could be harder to rotate a pizza in most kettle attachments due to width of opening.

Man I need to get a job so I can  get a smoke and sear and a kettle pizza :P

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 06:50:12 PM »
I don't think I'll get a smoke and sear. I think I am accessoried out until I get a griddle.

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 07:13:09 PM »
The slow n sear is actually really good with the kettle pizza,  it keeps all the fuel at the back (this is more helpful when refueling since your rushing to take the whole grill apart add some wood and put it back together).

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 05:57:21 AM »
I've never cooked enough pizzas to need to add fuel. One chimney hot, covered by one chimney of unlit, and the grill get to 725-750. I've done 3 pizzas, and it kept raging over 700 for another 35 minutes (or 2 more pizzas). Five 12-14" pizzas is a lot of pizza.

Definitely my next accessory will be the MoJoe griddle, or one that I build myself out of stainless along the lines of the MoJoe.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »
Those pizza spinners look cool!  It's easy for me to just pull a pizza out with my aluminum peel then spin it by hand, but the spinners would let you leave it in the entire time.   You are right about needing a fully lit chimney then another fully unlit chimney.  A neighbor just gave me some mesquite logs so I might give those a try on top of a fully lit chimney when I make some pies today. Hopefully it will be a good combo to slow down my charcoal consumption.

As far as the comment about the KP working better on a 22 vs a 26er, after doing a few pizza cooks on my 22, I think the 26er might be better.  With the 22 you have lots of flames in the back of the grill and it's easy to scorch that side of the pizza.   I think the 26er would give more room so that either the back of the pizza doesn't burn as easily and or the front of the pizza is further into the grill and gets more heat.  I'd be interested to see how the coal consumption changes when going from a 22 to a 26er though. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 11:07:36 AM »
I really want to try a chimney of blue, and then a chimney of unlit lump...see if I can get the temps over 800. I don't know why, but more heat sounds more cool. Lol

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2016, 11:08:47 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on running the gas ignition in a performer while cooking (using the kettle pizza)?  I'm thinking it would provide a heat boost and put some heat under the stone instead of having to put some coals there.  Just not sure if it is safe.  If I can see that it's lit, then it should be fine, but if I can't tell, do I risk the flame going out then having the gas ignite again all of the sudden?  I'd think since there is so much flame in the kettle that shouldn't happen. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2016, 11:10:10 AM »
I really want to try a chimney of blue, and then a chimney of unlit lump...see if I can get the temps over 800. I don't know why, but more heat sounds more cool. Lol

Or maybe Kingsford Competition in the first chimney then KBB for the unlit chimney?  Competition is just too smokey when lighting to use in the unlit batch in my opinion.

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2016, 11:14:08 AM »
Maybe so...I haven't seen the Competition at any local stores, so I'll try my lump first.

If you do the Competition, keep us posted.